TechSpot

Wireless N

By dan_me
Dec 16, 2007
  1. Hello,
    I just need to buy some accesories for a Dell Inspiron 1720 notebook, the internal NIC which is a Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N card and a wireless N router, which i chose 5-Port WNR854T RangeMax™ NEXT Gigabit Edition Wireless-N Router from Netgear, both to reach fastest speed in the wireless home network i'm willing to make.

The problem is what it writes here as a Note:
    dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&l=en&ref=CFG&s=dhs&~id=hmc_wireless_inspn&~lt=popup&~series=inspn

Note: Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N card requires a 5GHz Wireless-N router

5-Port WNR854T RangeMax™ NEXT Gigabit Edition Wireless-N Router from Netgear is only at 2.5GHz and i don't know another such a good router like it also at 5GHz.

Is it a mistake the Dell Note?
    As i know it would match any 2.4GHz Wireless N router.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I'm sure it will still work at 2.4GHz frequencies just maybe not as well as you would be hoping for (still better than 802.11G speeds).

3. dan_me

dan_me TS Rookie Topic Starter

Why not, the internal card is one of the best, part of the Centrino Duo and the router is a speedy gigabit router Wireless N at 300mbps and i was told that i don't need to work on 5GHz, just for extra range if i need.

Thanks for your opinion.

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Well the good thing about the 5GHz frequency range is that it is not affected by other wireless devices running in that 2.4GHz range & therefore the bandwidth effectively available to you is much closer to the theoretical values.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.