TechSpot

Wireless Network Help

By fmm2p
Nov 27, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am trying to install a wireless router in my apartment. The apartment is already equipped with a router that routes to wall jacks throughout the apartment. This router is the landlords and is inaccessible. Is there a way to set up a wireless router at one of the wall jacks so that i can have wireless internet access in my apartment?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Yes. :p

First of all, why did you buy a wireless router? A simple access point would have done the job..

Depending on the intelligence of the router(s)..
    Connect the new router to one of the wall jacks through a local port. Disable DHCP on it. Give it a LAN IP that fits into your existing network. Set up wireless without encryption first.
  3. MrDJ009

MrDJ009 TS Rookie Posts: 78

Check out the D-Link knowledge base. There is a brief list of steps on how to connect router to router. http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ/default.asp?model=DI-624_revC

The one question I have is that if your apartment already has a wired network (albeit the landlords) why do you need to set up another. Just use the one that's there.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.