TechSpot

Wireless Network Help

By fmm2p
Nov 27, 2004
  1. I am trying to install a wireless router in my apartment. The apartment is already equipped with a router that routes to wall jacks throughout the apartment. This router is the landlords and is inaccessible. Is there a way to set up a wireless router at one of the wall jacks so that i can have wireless internet access in my apartment?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Yes. :p

First of all, why did you buy a wireless router? A simple access point would have done the job..

Depending on the intelligence of the router(s)..
    Connect the new router to one of the wall jacks through a local port. Disable DHCP on it. Give it a LAN IP that fits into your existing network. Set up wireless without encryption first.

3. MrDJ009

MrDJ009 TS Rookie

Check out the D-Link knowledge base. There is a brief list of steps on how to connect router to router. http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ/default.asp?model=DI-624_revC

The one question I have is that if your apartment already has a wired network (albeit the landlords) why do you need to set up another. Just use the one that's there.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.