Wireless network problems - Belkin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right then. I've had my network up and running fine for months, however today its stopped working.

My computer connected to the router functions perfectly as usual, yet my upstairs computer and other things i connect to the network with fail. I've restarted and powered off/on, fiddled my settings etc. all to no effect.

One thing i did find odd, on a net test i ran with a xbox 360, it showed no DNS, IP, default gateway etc. All were showing as 0.0.0.0.

The router itself is a Belkin Wireless G-Router, model # F5D7633-4 Ver. 1144uk

I am 16 so while not computer illiterate, i'm not amazing either, though the network was set up by me and has functioned for about 9 months up till now.

Edit: Its also not the signal reaching the reciever, as my computer is showing 4 out of 5 signal. The computer stalls when trying to connect to the network, and i've tried reseting my WPA key to make sure its right

Any thoughts guys? Or any questions on anything i may have missed out?

Thanks in advance

"The computer stalls when trying to connect to the network"...

This is the upstairs computer? Have you tried reconfiguring the routers settings or replacing the wireless router

Some things to try to help you out...

Sethy said:
Right then. I've had my network up and running fine for months, however today its stopped working.

My computer connected to the router functions perfectly as usual, yet my upstairs computer and other things i connect to the network with fail. I've restarted and powered off/on, fiddled my settings etc. all to no effect.

One thing i did find odd, on a net test i ran with a xbox 360, it showed no DNS, IP, default gateway etc. All were showing as 0.0.0.0.

The router itself is a Belkin Wireless G-Router, model # F5D7633-4 Ver. 1144uk

I am 16 so while not computer illiterate, i'm not amazing either, though the network was set up by me and has functioned for about 9 months up till now.

Edit: Its also not the signal reaching the reciever, as my computer is showing 4 out of 5 signal. The computer stalls when trying to connect to the network, and i've tried reseting my WPA key to make sure its right

Any thoughts guys? Or any questions on anything i may have missed out?

Thanks in advance

Backup your settings and go to the belkin website and install a firmware update. Even if you already done so prior do it again to flush out anything that might have got corrupted FLASH memory.

Next turn off all PCs in your dwelling
Then connect only one to your router and turn on that PC
Don't connect any internet just yet..
Once you router and PC see each other..
Now connect the modem for the internet to the wan port of router
Wait for the modem and router to shake hands (communcations talk)
If that goes okay...
Now test your internet connection, if that's okay...
Start connecting and by doing so for each PC you have 1 at a time..
So PC2 test the connection make sure it can get on the internet
Make sure the Router has assigned DHCP IP address correctly.
If okay then repeat the process for each one.

Oh yes for each PC1, PC2 an etc..
Open a dos window
click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: ipconfig /flushdns

if you get an error after you using ipconfig /flushdns

saying this:

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

Then you need to do this: make sure you use caps as seen below.

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache /V Start /T REG_DWORD /F /D 2

When you get the message it has been completed then reboot the PC

Only do this if you get the message above. Otherwise start typing these strings commands below:

these will purge any leftover junk that might have clog your network protocols for TCP/UDP/DNS

nbtstat -r
netsh interface ip delete arpcache
ipconfig /flushdns (this needs to be ran again if you got a error prior)
Once you done here

For each PC make sure you type: route print to see if they can see the default-gateway router IP address.

or you can type: arp -a

this should show you your computer that you're on IP address
the default-gateway IP
and any pc that is connected to your PC right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back