Wireless router recommendations

My current wireless router, a 10-year-old Linksys (Wirless-G 2.4 Ghz 54Mbps), is past it and I'm on the lookout for a replacement. I am in the UK.

There are several devices that connect to it:

Nokia Lumia 520
Motorola Moto G
Now TV box
Sony Vaio laptop with Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless network adapter
Dell Vostro 3750 laptop with Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030
IPad Mini 2 with Retina display

My ISP is Virgin Media and my current wireless router is connected to it's "Hub" (http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/explore/our-fastest-wireless.html)

As far as my home goes, the furthest any device is ever from the wireless router is about 10-12 metres. That involves passing through a one ceiling and a couple of walls. I've no idea about the materials used in the construction of the house.

I would be very grateful if someone could recommend a good replacement wireless router.

Look for a MIMO (multiple in/out rf) they have at least two antennas and maybe three. These are more powerful and should do the job.

Also consider an EoP device (Ethernet over Power) which uses your house wiring as a transport so you can
get a switch at the far-end to connect

Here's mine:
Code:
primary router --- wired devices
     |
     +---- wired to EoP(master)  . . . . house wiring . . . EoP(slave) --- switch or access point
If you're careful with the setup, everything will be on the same subnet and print/file sharing is viable.

As a Virgin Media customer you are entitled to a Super Hub for nothing. I have their Netgear Super Hub (combined modem and wireless router) with four ethernet ports. It works very well. I suggest that you make contact with Virgin Media.

I use Netgear Powerline to run the internet through the electrical wiring in our house. It's very fast with no dropped signals, and is simple to set up.

Back