TechSpot

Wireless Router suggestion

By nismo91
Sep 26, 2007
  1. Hi all.
    i am planning to buy a wireless modem+router so that i can share the internet connection in my home with my desktop pc.

im going back home approximately next week, so i have a week to buy it.
    the concern here is that today i went to a computer shop and see alot of wireless modem-router which is around my budget... :)

however, there's many brands of router available there.
    the price is competitive, only 1 or 2 dollar difference each brand....
    so i'm confused about which one to buy....

hearing ppl suggestion some said avoid D-Link, some said avoid Linksys, and so on... in the shops they're selling these brands:
    Linksys
    D-Link
    Belkin
    Shiro (dual antenna)
    NetGear
    ProLink
    AZTech

unfortunately, i did not write down the model of each brands, since i thought each brand will have its characteristic...

Currently, im using the Linksys wireless modem+router WAG200G, but im not on my home right now. another relative have a Belkin wireless router but not sure how reliable it is....

what im most eager to know is that what is the adantage of using dual antenna router compared to a single antenna router? does it make any difference?

lastly, many thanks for the suggestion.
    and if this thread have been posted before,
    i'd be much appreciated to be redirected there.... :)

2. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

Personally i've used a lot of linksys routers and AP's, but then went through a period of all things linksys fudging up on me, so i changed to Netgear and Belkjin whic are good. However the WRT54G is a decent product, i've not had any issues with the ones i've used or installed.
    Oohh...hang on a sec, did you want a modem-router (all in one)? Is it DSL or cable? You needto be sure cos the WRT43G products i believe are not modem-routers, they are just routers (wireless or otherwise)

Dual antenna just gives a better chance of a stronger and more reliable signal, if you are going through umpteen walls.

3. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 888   +14

yes i want a modem-router so that i can replace my broadband modem and use the new one instead... (make it neat :))

oh im sorry... the linksys is WAG200G...
    i forgot, cause here i have both WAG200G & WRT54G...

so far i see alot of ppl using Linksys as their routers...
    but on my budget i saw a shiro dual antenna modem-router...

so im not sure whether shiro is a reliable brand or not...
    so far what i know shiro is well-known for making radio and communication products such as walkie talkie... about network, so far i see Linksys still one of the best while Belkin are well known in electricity (surge protector) and computer accessories.

4. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 493

don't know anything about Shiro mate, but you shouldn't go far wrong with the Linksys one. I use both the WRT54GS (router for cable modem) and the WAG54g (dsl modem router), both have been in server for well over a year and still going strong.
    I like the familiarity of the Linksys setup.

5. nismo91

hmmm icic...
    so maybe im just focusing onto Linksys and Belkin for now...
    since both of them are more reliable than others.... :)

6. poriggity

poriggity TS Rookie

I run a netgear, and I love it. I only have one phone jack in the entire house, so I had to get creative with it, as it is shared with my land line and my modem/router... I have one old HP laptop with a wireless card in it, one new laptop with built in 802.11 g/b, my wifes laptop with built in 802.11 g/b and a desktop in the office that uses a netgear USB plugin for wireless, which works great. Ive been nothing but HAPPY with all my netgear stuff.
    Scott

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Alot of users use Dlink DIR-655 is very popular. Belkin they're good for making network patch cords when it comes to hardware they're week there.

8. nismo91

thanks for all the suggestion...
    i'll pay a final visit to the shop roughly about next weekdays.
    when i'm flying home i hope i got the correct home gateway installed :)
    btw, one more brand spotted : SMC :p

more complicated to choose... :lol:

9. nismo91

thanks everyone.
    finally i bought a Linksys WAG200G today...
    since i heard that Linksys is decent in networking products....
    hope its goin fine until i get it right on my home next week... :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.