Wiring a graphics card to a generic PSU - sufficient power wires on plug?

By Tommygunn
Feb 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My brother in law has a got himself a free computer to which I am going to donate my old Sapphire X1950GT graphics card. The problem is, is that I can't easily wire it in to the computer as it has a crappy generic PSU with only one Molex and several Sata power plugs.
    What I do have, without slicing and dicing and getting out the soldering iron, is the adaptor cable below. What I don't know is whether this has a sufficient amount of wires I.e. 0V and 12V to provide power to my G/Card.
    Any ideas?

Tom.

[​IMG]
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,427

System power consumption with a Sapphire X1950 GT is less than 250W. I think you will be fine with the splitter mentioned above. You probably don't need much extra power to run the card. I assume there is at least a 300W PSU or greater in the system.
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 90

The PSU is only a 250W. However, the computer will only be used by his son for cartoons/films and maybe the occasional children's internet game. Nothing, I presume, overly stressful.

Tom.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.