TechSpot

WMP 12

By learninmypc
Apr 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I messed up big time (I think) trying to fix wmp 12 on my W7.
    A few days ago I noticed I was able to play my tunes on my Vista using WMP so I decided to try with W7 but it didn't so I google "repair wmp12" & it took me to this link https://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic
    amongst others, here repair wmp . I clicked the run now button & it went thru the process & at the end I think it said words to the effect it couldn't fix it to click and to click next for more help. I did such & got a box where it wanted me to enter captcha symbols which I did but it wouldn't accept it . It did that a few more times so I said the hell with it & clicked cancel.
    Then WMP popped up & at the bottom it said it was updating media info.
    An hour later it was still updating it so I minimized it & decided to play my tunes using VLC.
    Went to bed & 6 hours later I woke up to silence & saw the screen saying it was shutting down.
    After it came back up, I continued on surfing but when I decided to go into My Pictures folder, I found folders in there that were not in there before. Stupidly I did a system restore which failed.
    Oddly enough there were ONLY two choices in system restore. I've never deleted them or done anything to their settings. Can somebody help me/tell me how to get this fixed? TIA. :)

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,310   +238

4. learninmypc

5. learninmypc

Ok, I've done everything it said to do but I still have the folders in my My Pictures folder. Should I just leave them or ???

6. Cobalt006

What are the folders in My Pictures. Are they things you had down loaded before? Is WMP12 . Working now?

7. learninmypc

MISC folders.JPG
    Just a sample. In the "OTHER FOLDERS" folder are a few folders I was going to put in my My Documents folder but figured I'd wait .

8. Cobalt006

I am trying to understand here. Are these folders in your documents . Or are they on C drive.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. learninmypc

Originally they were on my C:Drive & the Program Files folder is now in both places along with I believe the rest. I think they're duplicate copies but not sure.
    I may just leave them as is & get used to it.

10. Cobalt006

That maybe a good Ideal just to leave them. Not sure why the would have duplicated in the first place..

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,119   +1,523

I don't know why you would want duplicates of Program Files. The duplicates would serve no purpose, other than to clutter Documents.

12. learninmypc

The point is, I didn't do it. When I followed the above directions listed in my first post, it happened then. That is the reason I tried a system restore.
    As far as WMP working, it still don't work like on my Vista. On my Vista I can right click the "tunes" folder & of the choices, one of them is VLC & the other is WMP. Not so on my W7. If I knew ALL the folders were duplicates & safe to delete,I would. Instead I'll just live with it I guess.
    I only tried WMP to see if it would work the same. Back to my friend VLC.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.