TechSpot

WMP10 won't display video image

By fnugen
Oct 14, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just reformatted/reinstalled my XP Home SP2 and upgraded to WMP10. I tried to play a couple of the videos (in standard MP format) and I get sound but no picture. The screen is black. I can't find any option turned off causing this, not to my knowledge anyway. Anybody have any ideas, I usually use Winamp and MP. But never had a problem with MP before.
  2. acidic_misfit

acidic_misfit TS Rookie

download all the latest codecs

ACE Mega codecs pack, search for it on google, has everything you'l lever need
  3. fnugen

fnugen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 131

Thanks.......downloading now. WOW, 50m, every codec possible in that pack?
  4. fnugen

fnugen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 131

Nope still black screen. When I reinstalled XP, I had a secondary drive. I moved everything to this drive. The videos/wav files were already on the drive when reinstalling windows. This wouldn't make a difference would it?? I'd have thought not, but figured I'd offer this in case it has any bearing. Not all of these video files will play in winamp.

Black screen in winamp as well. I am baffled
  5. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

Audio with no video can mean a couple different things:
    1) You (again) are missing the correct Codec. I'd try hunting down some of the more unusual ones- start with google for Divx 5.11 (or higher) and Intel Indeo Video codecs. I've always had to install these two separately for some reason myself.
    2) You have a tv-out videocard and need to double-check how you have any possible "Overlay" configured. It may incorrectly sense you have a tv connected and sending any video overlay (i.e. streaming video) to the tv-out versus on the main display.

Hope this helps!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.