TechSpot

Wolfenstein 3D turns 20, celebrates with free web version

By Jos
May 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. This past Sunday marked the 20th anniversary of "Wolfenstein 3D," the game that essentially laid the groundwork for the first-person shooter genre and influenced many of id Software's titles for...

Read the whole story

2. That means I was 5 years old and was playing this epic game :eek:

3. This means I'm very old :(

Impressive graphics back in the day :D

4. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +10

I was in college when this thing appeared. Remember playing it with SoundBlaster in earphones. Was quite a step up from other games in every damn aspect.

5. We're both very old LOL.
    This game was so enjoyable! it reminds me of the time that we had to load those games into the first 512K of memory or they won't work!!

6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I was 15 when this came out. That summer my parents bought me a nice 486 DX2 66 for getting a good PSAT score, LOL, that rig was sick. Played this ad nauseum.

7. MCJeeba

MCJeeba TS Rookie Posts: 26

Ahhh... When WW2 games actually used swastikas, instead of fake flags.

8. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

Free on ios right now too!

9. Furball

Furball TS Rookie

You're old when you know what "QEMM386 /expand" did and why you had to "optimize" autoexec.bat and config.sys >_<

10. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Valve had nothing AT ALL to do with Duke Nukem as Half Life was their first game...

11. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 333   +51

I remember I use to be able to edit config.sys & autoexec.bat files on the fly to squeeze every little bit of ram to get the sound and graphics to work right on wolf 3d.
    copy con autoexec.bat.....Ctrl F6 to save LOL....ah the good ole days. I still have a box copy of dos 4,5,6, Qemm386 LOL.

12. Wizz-Fizz

Wizz-Fizz TS Rookie Posts: 35   +11

No one said they did. 3D Reals were appropriately credited in the article.

Ahhh DOS
    They days when people had to know what HIMEM, IRQ and DMA addressing was :D

13. Crappy old game. <- This from someone who entered the scene when Doom was out.

14. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

The article has since been updated to reflect that

15. What I remember:
    1. The maps (the WAD files)
    2. Those brown dogs darting from L to R and vice versa.
    3. DOS ruled
    4. Killing Hitler felt really good ...
    5. Oh yes, getting psyched! I loved it.

16. Played this one back in the day and the 2nd one. I got a level editor for it and my brothers and I would make levels to torment each other - open up a door and suddenly you're in a massive room with 100 dogs, get to the end door and there's a boss waiting inside of it..."Guten Tag!", make a level that has tons of end of level switches but only one works, etc. Playing the game now it seems so antiquated but it was so much fun back then.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.