TechSpot

Word 2000 crashes on Close document if you have the document sitting open for a while

By waterbear
Sep 19, 2005
  1. I am running XP and Word 2000 and Nortons. Word will crash if you leave the document open for a while (there is no specific time frame) and then select close (icon). The error - Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. The details are: AppName: winword.exe
    appver 9.0.0.3822
    Modname: kernel32.dll
    modvers: 5.1.26002180
    offset 0001eb33

This has pretty much happened since I got this laptop. I have reformatted and reinstalled everything (due to another problem) and still have the same problem with word. I have used the same CD on other computers to install word and they do not have the same problem.

I use a variety of templates and plain documents in my work and can not pin point it to one template.

If you leave Word open with a document (no matter what size) and come back to it later this is when the problem happens. I started to get around it my saving first then closing, but this no longer works. The save completes and then I select Close and this is when it happens - you get the dreaded pause and then you hear the whirl of the computer and then you get the Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. Firstly I could put up with it but is now just a nusiance.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.