Word processor problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabomination

Hi Im having trouble opening files i made on my pc on others. I redid my resume using MS works word processor XP SP2 pro, and then copied it to a cd to print as i dont own a printer. It wouldnt open on the three pc i tried it on using word processor or any other programme. I know i can email these files to a pc at work and do it that way but i would still like to have it on cd as ive still got to scan some certificates and keep it all on one disc. Any help appreciated.

Can you open the document on the CD using your own computer? Maybe the files got corrupt somehow?

If you want to store your documents for printing, consider installing a PDF printer program like Cute PDF, or even better, OpenOffice so you can produce PDF files that can be opened and will look the same virtually everywhere .

I did try opening it on my pc after copying and was ok. After that i burnt it again and retried on other pc but it still didnt work?

The basic word processor in MS Works isn't the same as Word. Unless the other computers also have Works installed, they won't recognize the Works file extension (.wps I think) and open the document. It doesn't matter whether you email it, burn it to a CD or copy it to a flash drive. They still won't be able to read it as long as the document has the same .wps extension.

When you save the document in Works, you should be able to save the document in Word format (.doc) by selecting Word in the "Save as Type" drop down box. For further information click here.

BTW, if you had MS Works Suite installed instead, that actually has Word included but not plain vanilla MS Works.

works file format is incompatible with most other word processing programs. It is also a terrible program. Do yourself a favor and download openoffice from openoffice.org - it is FREE and can save in a multitude of compatible formats.

There are conversion programs for works to word/ odf/ etc... I haven't really found any that are truly free. You may have to do a cut and paste from works to openoffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back