World of Warcraft: Cataclysm official discussion thread

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
Are you buying the latest expansion to the world of Azeroth? Exploring it already? This is TechSpot's official thread to discuss anything and everything about World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Release date: December 7, 2010 (PC)

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is the third expansion set for the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft, following the last expansion Wrath of the Lich King. It was officially announced at BlizzCon on August 21, 2009, although details were discovered earlier. After many rumors and much speculation, Blizzard officially announced the release date of December 7, 2010. Before Cataclysm was announced as the official title of the expansion, it was known internally as World of Warcraft: Worldbreaker.

The central plot of the expansion is the return of the evil dragon aspect Deathwing the Destroyer. Last seen in Warcraft II, Deathwing has spent that time healing himself, and plotting his fiery return from the elemental plane of Deepholm. His return tears through the dimensional barrier within Azeroth, causing a sweeping cataclysm that reshapes much of the world's surface. In the midst of the world-wide disaster comes renewed conflict between the Alliance and the Horde, which is now under the rule of Garrosh Hellscream.

In the wake of Deathwing's rise, Azeroth has been transformed: previously lush jungle areas have been reduced to burning waste, while once-desert environments have undergone a similar-but-inverse change into fresh green growth. Likewise, the Alliance has pushed into the Barrens and destroyed Camp Taurajo, while the Barrens itself has been split in two by a massive volcanic fissure. via Wikipedia.

System Requirements

Minimum:
Windows XP, Vista or 7
Intel Pentium 4 1.3GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500
1GB or more of RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX/ATI RadeonTM 9500 video card or better
DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
25GB of storage free
Broadband Internet connection

Recommended:
Windows XP, Vista or 7
Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
2GB RAM
3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 256MB Nvidia GeForce 8600/ATI Radeon 2600 or better
DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
Broadband Internet connection
Multi-button mouse with scroll wheel

Played 80-81 and done the first two new instances. I think there isn't much more innovation they can really apply to this games encounters. Maybe I'll be surprised but it's feeling a lot like every previous expansion. Multiply the health/damage/gold by X and chuck out more of the same.

I've never played it! :haha:

Doesn't look too bad on hardware requirements though! :)

Well I've now levelled to 84, and I have to say a 5 level increase to level cap and the content I've played through seems a little lacking for the full game price the expansion costs. That said some of the quest lines and area designs have been of a superior level to those of previous expansions. Still undecided if this is a "hit" for me, guess I'll wait until I've played all new instances at 85 before I make further comment.

Cataclysm... I hear a lot of ups and downs... Then again, I don't know if I can reactivate my account for the third time. I always end up making it to the level cap of the previous expansion to play some end-game raids, etc... Then, I just get bored... So my toons are just stuck at 80 and I don't think I can "WoW" it up again... -__-

Back