World of warcraft FPS issue

By dashum
Apr 12, 2007
  1. Hey, i bought a new HP laptop about 2 months ago, and have been playing wow with about 10-30 fps, and ive really just gotten sick of it. I was wondering if there was a way for me to raise my fps in any way. Ive tried many different things but none have made a huge differents. My computer specs are..

Windows Vista Home Premium
    AMD turion 64 x2 mobile technology TL ~ 1.6 GHz
    958 MB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce go 6150(integrated) 281 MB

I have all my settings on low and use 1440 x 900 resolution(wide screen)
    Im kinda just wondering if its my system, or the Vista or whatever.
    Let me know if its something i can fix or not.
    Thanks in advance
  2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Its a combination of all things you mentioned I think, integrated graphics for a game, and then you have your turion proc, not great for games, and vista will slow you down a bit with the specs you have, should have stayed with xp IMO
  3. dashum

dashum TS Rookie Topic Starter

i actually bought my laptop with vista, and im thinking bout switching back. Do you know how much of an fps difference there will be?
  4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

Well since your videocard is ok ( Except it's integrated ) when you go to XP you'll save up most of your Vram instead of having Fancy menus and get atleast a 15-20fps boost, You have good enough RAM but the videocard just sucks... Maybe you're able to upgrade videocards for laptops?
  5. dashum

dashum TS Rookie Topic Starter

im perfectly happy with a 15-20 fps boost, that would put me up to 30-40, but ive noticed people with older game cards then me still run WoW smoother then me. Ive also noticed many people with this gamecard+vista have the same issue as me(since a lot of HP laptops come with the go 6150). Think i should wait for a driver update? any help is much appreciated =]
  6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

15-20 FPS boost is pretty optimistic in my opinion. I think you'd be lucky to get a 10 fps boost. Your video card is really your big bottleneck.
  7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

I agree, your video card is your biggest problem, but nontheless vista pulls a huge amount of video memory that you'll definately notice the difference between xp and vista in your games, unless you want to find a laptop with a g80 equivelent card, which isnt possible
  8. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

I know LNCpapa, it was just a estimation... I do not have Vista ( Because it sucks! ) so I was just saying because of all the Vram it takes that it'll be a good boost like that, I was sortof saying what Supersmashbrada said:

9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

I really would be curious to see how much of a performance increase you really get. If you wouldn't mind posting back here to say it would be helpful. I could be wrong and you might see that big a boost.
  10. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy TS Rookie Posts: 252

You've tried tinkering with your video settings for WoW right? Trying using a low resolution like 800x600 and using lowest settings for everything. I have a FX5200 and i run with full settings 1024x768 at about 30fps
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.