World's first vending machine for homeless people launches in UK, arrives in US next year

midian182

Staff member

It’s easy to forget, but technology is often used for good causes and as a way of helping those in need. Over in the UK city of Nottingham, the world’s first vending machine for homeless people has just been installed, allowing those sleeping on the streets to stock up on free essentials any time during the day or night.

The machine, which is now available at the Broadmarsh Intu shopping center, dispenses items such as water, fresh fruit, energy bars, sanitary pads, socks, and sandwiches. It even contains antibacterial lotion, toothbrush and toothpaste packs, and books.

The project is the work of Huzaifah Khaled, founder of the Nottingham homeless charity Action Hunger, which restocks and monitors the machine daily. He says most of the food contents come from redistribution organizations that attempt to reduce food waste, while other items are bought using charitable donations.

To ensure the machine isn’t abused and used only by those most in need, up to 100 homeless people will be given traceable key cards handed out by the Friary, a drop-in advice center. Each person can use their card to receive an item from the machine up to three times in one day. They must check in at the Friary once per week for the cards to continue working.

“The measure is designed to prevent singular dependency on our machines – we want our low-cost solution to complement other services that are available, as engagement with professionals and local support services is instrumental to breaking the cycle of homelessness,” the charity said.

29-year-old Khaled developed the project while completing his PhD in law at the University of Cambridge, and even managed to convince N&W Global Vending to give him a £10,000 ($13,400) machine for free, reports the Guardian.

Khaled hopes to expand the initiative across the country and into the US. He aims to have 25-30 of them in the UK by the end of 2018, while next year will also see two machines appear in New York, followed by more in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle. It looks as if the program could be taken up by other countries, too. “I’ve had emails from people in Greece, Spain, Australia and China, all wanting to know more,” said Khaled.

Permalink to story.

I don't know about UK, but here next door, in Ireland, begging seems like business. Every time they pop one of those a$$holes, turns out to be another rich begging prick. I wish somebody started arresting them for illicit business practices, or an immoral act. It is a whole huge network of true social parasites, praying on people's naivete, and polluting the touristy city centre with their presence.

And people in real need will hardly get a sit where they could beg, the begging mafia owns those. It is entirely criminal and immoral all the way. And the government as always, chooses to do nothing about it.

Give them a free vending machine, to make their profession even more attractive? Oh please!

Having said it though, I do believe those vending machines may do some good in the US in some places, but in UK - I don't think so. In UK they are more likely to attract local vandals, and in this instance I can't blame them - who wants a local vending machine that attracts beggars?

Also, in case you don't know how beggars make extra money... They spend the whole day looking at the same houses and cars, who lives where, what time people come and go, etc. And in the end it is all passed on to burglars and car thieves. Happy days!

Last edited:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints did something similar. They did a charity vending machine.

Funny how those hypocrites only show the people donating, but never the people receiving, because they are not exactly photo-genetic, with attire that's not exactly fashionable, so not to spoil the good-will video.

Last edited:
In my city, we have an organization running entirely on donations. There are volunteers who get in trucks with freshly cooked food/drinks and necessities. We make stops at predetermined locations on routes throughout the city. They keep contact with known homeless who can let them know if people who are not homeless are frequenting. The location is moved and the people who aren't homeless can't find their freebies. It works out well. These vending machines are great in that only the actual homeless should get the cards and can be screened. They can get necessities such as TP without having to wait for scheduled days for those items. If they hear from others they are abusing their rights then the card could be disabled.

Funny how those hippocrates only show the people donating, but never the people receiving, because they are not exactly photo-genetic, with attire that's not exactly fashionable, so not to spoil the good-will video.
I'm not sure why you are dragging poor Hippocrates, aka the father of modern medicine, into this. After all, he lived and died more than 2,000 years ago. :)

It's pretty hard to fall through the cracks in the system the majority of rough sleepers have mental health or dependency issues or simply refuse help. The council will house you if you lose your home are kicked out/ split with your partner it will likely be communal housing if you have a kid your pretty much guaranteed a house/flat. its a very complicated issue.

This guy got himself a PhD in law, so I really hope he knows what he is doing. If some of his clientele find a way to game his system, it may well do more harm than good. I am not saying that there are people out there that do not deserve help, just that there are ways of giving help to them that enable them to continue their ways. It sounds like he has taken steps to reduce or eliminate the enabling factor, but this will take time to prove itself in action. Time will tell whether this is going to be truly helpful.

Give them jobs or anything to be productive in the society like to be a street sweeper to get out of that hole not this kind of shenanigans. I bet that vending machine will be ripped apart in no time.

I guess things are all backwards in the UK. In America we give to the rich, not the poor. In fact we just gave them a massive tax cut and deductions for their yachts and private jets. Hey, why should the rich have to pay for that stuff when the government can.

I guess things are all backwards in the UK. In America we give to the rich, not the poor. In fact we just gave them a massive tax cut and deductions for their yachts and private jets. Hey, why should the rich have to pay for that stuff when the government can.
Brings to mind a couple of Monty Python skits -

Tired at the end of a long day; my first thought on reading the headline was, "that's crazy ... who would want to buy a homeless person?"
lol - That's funny!
Although slavery was a thing not so many decades ago. And human trafficking still happens, no matter how much we want to ignore it.

Back