Would Increasing RAM to 2GB Help with Speed of Photo Using Programs

By murray1987
Jul 1, 2006
  1. I have a Compaq Presario with Pentium 2.93 Ghz CPU, 1 Gb RAM, and 160 Gb hard drive using Windows XP Home sp2.

I have over a thousand photos on my computer. I sell on eBay and the photos are stored until an item sells. When I open my photo software it is getting a little slower than it used to be. And my auction program is really getting slow the more auctions and photos I put in it. My business is doubling so I wanted to see what I could do to help speed.

I still have 2/3 of my hard drive free. I did all of the basic cleanup stuff and defragging helped the overall performance of my computer. Eliminated a lot of unneccessary junk in the configsys startup. Expanded the virtual memory to 4000 mb. But my main 2 programs I use are still slow.

Would it be good to add 1 Gb of RAM? Would it help my problem with so many photos at all or would I just be wasting my money?

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

It may help, but, a faster hard drive would make more difference.
    I noticed that, when I added 1GB of RAM, and it didn`t improve too much the PC, only in games. And then I changed the hard drive to a faster, 7200 RPM 8MB cache drive,and it`s WAY faster now.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

adding memory doesn't help much over 1gb except in some games.
    under 1gb it helps a lot.

photos are hard drive intensive. A faster HD is the best bet.
  4. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

There is no significant difference between 1gb and 2gb of RAM. Generally the best way to upgrade pc is by upgrading processor.

5. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

He already has a fast CPU. A 2.93 P4 is a fast CPU for photos.

All you need to do is defragment periodically your hard drive, or get a faster drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.