TechSpot

WRT 54G disconnects after 1 minute

By Jacksvn
Apr 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hiya,
    I got this problem in this morning, I can access internet and wifi as well.
    My internet cable goes into ADSL router (D-link) and then connect with a WRT 54G wireless router then it connect with my computer.
    If I just connect directly from ADSL router, it's fine but I have more than 1 device so I have to connect with WRT 54G. But now, It got problem, when I connect it all, I just can access its wireless router controller page and in just 1 minute, after it disconnects automaticly, so the problem comes from WRT 54G but I have no idea to fix it.
    Anybody can help me, please!!

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

Update its firmware.

3. Jacksvn

Jacksvn TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks SNG. Unfortunately, I couldn't upgrade firmware, I always get unsuccessful. I'm sure that I get the right version. Any idea?

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

Find out what version your router is. I know WRT54G, but there are several versions. Once you know that, go to the dd-wrt page and find your specific version. Then in the right column there is an install instructions link that will walk you through putting the dd-wrt firmware on your router.

dd-wrt is 3rd party, and it will void your warranty. Since you posted here rather than try to get a new device from Linksys I'm assuming you don't want to or can't claim a warranty thing.

dd-wrt is also a lot more involved to install than a stock firmware. Do Not try and install dd-wrt like you would an official firmware. That site has specific instructions for a reason. It is involved, but if you read through them before attempting, and then read and do each step carefully, it will work (or your router is totally dead).

I have had really good success with dd-wrt on both wrt54g routers I've owned. The first one I put it on was dying before I put ddwrt on it, and it only survived a bit longer. But I've got another one that has been running it for a year or so and it gets heavy usage, works great. Almost never have to reset it compared to resetting at least once a week with the official. It also opens up a few to a lot more features than you have right now (depends on how much RAM your router has, which is version dependent).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.