Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWolf55AJ

I have A Router that is almost always connected to three connections:

My Toshiba Laptop, Wireless
An HP Laptop Wireless
A Sony Vaio Desktop Wired

All run Vistas Home Premium.

My problem is adding my XBox 360 to the connection. As I see it I have 3 Options:

Buy Microsofts Wireless Adapter, but I fear lag online from 4 simoulntaneous conection

Use A Wired Ethernet cord from one room to the next, but the cord itself might be a problem

Set up another Modem near the XBox, but i wonder if there will be another 20$ a month charge just for XBox.

Am I missing any options here? Thanks a lot.

What is the current High Speed Service you do you have: Dsl or Cable, Other?

Who is your Provider? Verizon or Comcast, Other?

As in having an Ethernet cord, will it cause a problem as in being in the way or as in being too long? (lagging speeds in some cases, but only if over 100 feet)

Also I forgot the big question: What is the current average speed or the level of speed your provider says it should be?

To calculate your internet download speed use the following link: http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

Also since you have DSL, I don't think you can have a second modem unless you have a second seprate line, that's why I asked if you had DSL or Cable since Cable you can have a second modem on the same Home cable network.

Post your Average speed, that will help determine what to do in this case.

You could, you would have to bridge the Ethernet connection (xbox), and wireless connection (laptop to router). You would get better results with a xbox adapter.

Linksys (cheaper)
http://cgi.ebay.com/LINKSYS-WGA11B-W...QQcmdZViewItem

Microsoft brand
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Origin...cmdZView Item

The linksys seems to do the same same as the microsoft brand adapter, and is on average $30 less.

Just beware, if you have any encryption on your network, the Linksys will not work out of the box. You will need to connect it to a PC first, configure it with software, then connect it to your xbox.

Your connection speed you be pretty good as long as you turn off a compuiter or two, also sometimes when you have a heavy data use on a wirelessly linked computer it sometimes makes it harder to get another wireless device to connect. I'm not sure if there is an encryption, I would think there would be but I don't know since I only use my 360 with a wired connection but I would think it would I know the Wii does. Also if running a cable is a problem APC has a new line of flat ethernet cables that you can easily run under a carpet or hide in a molding. Plus using a wired connection would have a higher speed over wireless and an instant connection.

Running a cable through the wall or under the floor is not an option. The wireless bridge are the USB adapters, or are those something different?

I've been told by guys at BestBuy that not only does MS's adapter work great, it's the only one that works for 360. I'm questioning that right now.

Linksys makes an adaptor that plugs into the back of the Xbox 360 that makes it wireless and Linksys and Netgear both make gaming adaptor not just Microsoft.

The linsys one stated that it will not work on vista, which would not be a problem except for the encryption i have on the network, which requires that it be hooked to a computer. Hopefully netgear likes vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back