Xbox One console shipments top 5 million since launch

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Microsoft announced yesterday that it has sold more than 5 million Xbox One units since its launch in November. What's important to note here is that the sales figure represents the number of consoles sold to retailers and not the number of units actually purchased by end users.

Around 311,000 Xbox One units were sold in the U.S in March alone, surpassing Xbox 360 sales by more than 60 percent at the same point in time. The Xbox One first went on sale on November 22 in 13 countries, including the US, UK, and Australia. Back in January, the software giant said Xbox One sales had crossed three million 2013.

Titanfall for Xbox One, which hit store shelves March 11, was named the number one selling game in March. Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined sold a total of 4.1 million games last month, capturing 49 percent of the total software market share.

The announcement comes just a day after rival Sony said it sold seven million PS4 units as of April 6, up from six million it had counted last month. Meanwhile, according to retail sales data from NPD Group, hardware sales rose 78% from a year earlier, but sales of new console and PC games fell 28% in March.

Permalink to story.

5 million? Didn't they mention that half of those were to replace the out of box failures?
First off, no...
PS4 has had a much higher failure rate on the consoles and the controllers.
Yeah I would take these figures with a grain of salt since I think you are right.

I bet the Titanfall launch really inflated these figures.
There have been much less Xbox ONE to PS4 failures. If were saying that, then 60% of the PS4 sales are the broken units as well since you can check all over the web and see the humongous rage posts about controllers, consoles, and drives failing for the PS4.

If your going to make jokes about the Xbox ONE having a few failures, then you had better check the fact that PS4 has been reported by many users to have launch day problems along with updated problems from over time use. Recent problems have reported users having a problem where the console begins making a static noise and flickering on screen.

Those are shipped figures, not sold figures. Sony, on the hand, released sold figures. Either way, they're both are outperforming their respective predecessors when they were at the same point in their life cycles.

Yeah Sony sold 7 million consoles while Microsoft shiped 5 million and because of that there's a chance some of them will fail. Congrats to Sony.

Those are shipped figures, not sold figures. Sony, on the hand, released sold figures. Either way, they're both are outperforming their respective predecessors when they were at the same point in their life cycles.
Sold to retailers, difference between Sony saying 7 million "Sold" units and Microsoft Saying 5 million sold to retailers is that one company is using a different wording to their advantage. Sony says the consoles are sold, but to where they are sold is the mystery because they did not say sold to users or 7 million PS4's live. In short both consoles are displaying the same thing, just one words it differently to make it sound better.

Yeah Sony sold 7 million consoles while Microsoft shiped 5 million and because of that there's a chance some of them will fail. Congrats to Sony.
Like I said, its a hidden phrase by Sony. They are saying they have "Sold" 7 million units, but to whom is the question because that just means they are no longer owned by Sony same as Microsoft said about the 5 million Xbox's.

I wonder where Microsoft is with bringing the Xbox One controller to the PC. Of course I want a genuinely wired version, not a wireless model that can be plugged to that effect.

First off, no...
PS4 has had a much higher failure rate on the consoles and the controllers.

There have been much less Xbox ONE to PS4 failures. If were saying that, then 60% of the PS4 sales are the broken units as well since you can check all over the web and see the humongous rage posts about controllers, consoles, and drives failing for the PS4.

If your going to make jokes about the Xbox ONE having a few failures, then you had better check the fact that PS4 has been reported by many users to have launch day problems along with updated problems from over time use. Recent problems have reported users having a problem where the console begins making a static noise and flickering on screen.
Oh. OK, I'll take your word for it then. I have as much interest in these things as I have in the mating habits of the common house fly, which is probably interesting if one is an entomologist.

Sold to retailers, difference between Sony saying 7 million "Sold" units and Microsoft Saying 5 million sold to retailers is that one company is using a different wording to their advantage. Sony says the consoles are sold, but to where they are sold is the mystery because they did not say sold to users or 7 million PS4's live. In short both consoles are displaying the same thing, just one words it differently to make it sound better.

Does it matter to whom they are sold? Sold is sold. And no Microsoft only "shipped" to retailers, meaning, that at this moment they are sitting on shelves waiting to be actually sold to consumers.

And it is very easy to verify if a console is shipped vs. if it was sold: You can just look at the financials of each company.

Why is it that you get so defensive about Microsoft and Xbox One?

Does it matter to whom they are sold? Sold is sold. And no Microsoft only "shipped" to retailers, meaning, that at this moment they are sitting on shelves waiting to be actually sold to consumers.
Microsoft "Sold" them to retailers, they are no longer owned by Microsoft like with any product put on a shelf. Notice how Sony has no area saying how many have been shipped. They only put a "Sold" category for people to check. Its the same type of sales just a different type of wording. Once a store (For instance Target) buys the consoles they are no longer owned by whoever made them hence why stores can do special sales or what not on the device different from other retailers.

And it is very easy to verify if a console is shipped vs. if it was sold: You can just look at the financials of each company.
So Sony selling off assets including the Vaio division is a sign of success?

Why is it that you get so defensive about Microsoft and Xbox One?
More like how most people are ignoring the facts and spewing non-sense or taking things at face value. Issues with the PS4 and the time taken to repair them has started being snuffed by Sony as a 1% failure rate even though I hear about PS4's having issues all the time in life and on the web. But the only mention of a problem is Microsoft having a small number of Xbox ONE consoles with bad drives in which they let you keep the console until a new one arrived and offered a free game Download to play while you waited.

When Sony says something it must be true, but if Microsoft says something then its false is what people keep going with. Its rather annoying since Sony has sneakily implemented the DRM into the PS4 (That everyone was raving about when Microsoft said they would do it), stripped 75% of the PS3 features and implemented alot of monthly fee features in exchange (Music services, paying for online as well, etc), among other things. Its getting ridiculous to see all the Microsoft an Xbox ONE hate on a daily basis when its doing more than fine while everyone praises the PS4 for doing less, adding policies that were hated on when Microsoft tried to implement them, and complaining about the Kinect yet ignoring the fact the Playstation eye is atrocious to say the least and has only one real working function that is streaming.

"Microsoft 'Sold' them to retailers, they are no longer owned by Microsoft like with any product put on a shelf. Notice how Sony has no area saying how many have been shipped. They only put a 'Sold' category for people to check. Its the same type of sales just a different type of wording. Once a store (For instance Target) buys the consoles they are no longer owned by whoever made them hence why stores can do special sales or what not on the device different from other retailers."

No, it isn't, and you're playing semantics. Shipping (and I will use the word shipping because using the word "sold" is conflating two different issues) your item to a retailer does nothing if it doesn't end up with an end consumer. I would like for you to go talk to Phil Harrison and convince him that the Xbox One is more successful than the PS4 because Microsoft is shipping them to stores.

As for whether stores can do special sales, that's only up to a point. If they want to continue getting shipments from the manufacturer they don't dare deviate from the MSRP.

"So Sony selling off assets including the Vaio division is a sign of success?"

I didn't say it was a sign of success so please don't put words in my mouth. I simply said if you wish to verify "sold" vs. "shipped" you can easily do that for yourself and not take the word of either company.

"More like how most people are ignoring the facts and spewing non-sense or taking things at face value."

No, more like you get utterly defensive whenever there is an Xbox One thread. My original post was quite conciliatory as I stated BOTH systems are doing quite vis-a-vis their predecessors at this point. As an owner of BOTH systems I play and use each one with great regularity. It seems you wish for everyone to take the word of Microsoft at face value and want people to be dismissive of the Sony's word. NEWSFLASH: I take BOTH at their word, but point out the difference between "shipped" and "sold".

Last edited:
Microsoft 'Sold' them to retailers, they are no longer owned by Microsoft like with any product put on a shelf. Notice how Sony has no area saying how many have been shipped. They only put a 'Sold' category for people to check. Its the same type of sales just a different type of wording. Once a store (For instance Target) buys the consoles they are no longer owned by whoever made them hence why stores can do special sales or what not on the device different from other retailers.[\quote]

No, it isn't, and you're playing semantics. Shipping (and I will use the word shipping because using the word "sold" is conflating two different issues) your item to a retailer does nothing if it doesn't end up with an end consumer. I would like for you to go talk to Phil Harrison and convince him that the Xbox One is more successful than the PS4 because Microsoft is shipping them to stores.

As for whether stores can do special sales, that's only up to a point. If they want to continue getting shipments from the manufacturer they don't dare deviate from the MSRP.

So Sony selling off assets including the Vaio division is a sign of success?[\quote]

I didn't say it was a sign of success so please don't put words in my mouth. I simply said if you wish to verify "sold" vs. "shipped" you can easily do that for yourself and not take the word of either company.

More like how most people are ignoring the facts and spewing non-sense or taking things at face value.[\quote]

No, more like you get utterly defensive whenever there is an Xbox One thread. My original post was quite conciliatory as I stated BOTH systems are doing quite vis-a-vis their predecessors at this point. As an owner of BOTH systems I play and use each one with great regularity. It seems you wish for everyone to take the word of Microsoft at face value and want people to be dismissive of the Sony's word. NEWSFLASH: I take BOTH at their word, but point out the difference between "shipped" and "sold".

You do realize he is probably someone who works for Microsoft, thus trying to talk them up as much as possible.

First off cmbjive, your post is messed up on the quotes...
Second I corrected you, you said those consoles are not sold which in truth they are sold to the retailers which means Microsoft does not own them anymore... Sony is also saying those are sold, that includes selling to shops not that they are saying there are 7 million PS4's in homes otherwise they would have said that.
Third you have not said one thing at the people constantly making jokes at the Xb1. So am I to guess you think defending the console is wrong but making fun of it is ok?

You do realize he is probably someone who works for Microsoft, thus trying to talk them up as much as possible.
You know since your new ill let that slide even though ive bought both PS4 and XB1 (Plus my job is displayed on my profile...). Fact is im going to guess you own a PS4 and a PS3 as well.

Second I corrected you, you said those consoles are not sold which in truth they are sold to the retailers which means Microsoft does not own them anymore... Sony is also saying those are sold, that includes selling to shops not that they are saying there are 7 million PS4's in homes otherwise they would have said that.
Third you have not said one thing at the people constantly making jokes at the Xb1. So am I to guess you think defending the console is wrong but making fun of it is ok?

You know since your new ill let that slide even though ive bought both PS4 and XB1 (Plus my job is displayed on my profile...). Fact is im going to guess you own a PS4 and a PS3 as well.
Neither actually.

To sum this up, PS4 is destroying Xbox one and without surprise from anyone who is a gamer as Microsoft really messed up with xbox one. It's extremely weaker hardware, kinect cr*p, lack of games or exclusives, Live being mandatory for everything even the browser, and onto of netflix and other paid apps, being completely and utterly greedy and out of touch, a controller that still uses AA batteries and has horrible dead zones along with triggers that are the worst iv ever seen, a slow and clunky OS, with laughable 5 min record times, a friend message system that takes a step back from 360, ads that are considered "apart of the experience" and splashed everywhere, on top of all of this, it can barely handle 720p or 30 fps..last gen specs.

First, thanks for alerting me to that, I'll fix it.

Second, no, shipping to retailers and selling directly to the consumer are two separate things. As I mentioned above, you go into a Microsoft exec's office and tell them they are successful because retailers has stockpiles of Xbox Ones on their shelves. You would not only be laughed at but fired. This is where statistics are being maligned to paint a different picture: Shipped to retailer does not tell you anything about the overall sell-through to consumers. So, no, you did not correct me, but instead are engaging in word games. No one takes "shipped" seriously, except for you. But, then, who are you?

Third, it's a thing. Why are you offended about a thing? I never understood a person's attachment to a thing. I just play games. I play games on all systems. If someone says something bad about a system I just shrug it off. It's not like my PS4 or Xbox One is going to come wake me up at night with hurt feelings.

Like I said, its a hidden phrase by Sony. They are saying they have "Sold" 7 million units, but to whom is the question because that just means they are no longer owned by Sony same as Microsoft said about the 5 million Xbox's.
I understand you are an Xbox One fanboy. There is no need to tell me what Sony and MS did, I knew that I, I'm not stupid. Playstation sold more than Xbox, doesn't matter how it sounds, it is true. Don't worry, I don't cheer for any of the consoles, neither do I own any of them, I just read the article. Fact that PS4 sold more than Xbox will maybe make Microsoft improve and stuff and later sell more Xboxes so be happy!

It's funny to watch someone fight so hard for what they believe in, even when they clearly have nothing to stand on other than their own love for their belief. The sad part now is it's for a piece of plastic crap that will mean little to nothing to you in a couple years, if not months, yet try as you might to sway others opinions you just can't...

That being said BOTH consoles are laughable, neither has a particularly good library of exclusives, let alone cross platform games. Interface wise, if this really matters to a gamer, I guess Sony, controller longevity Microsoft. Those are so far the only two strong points for either console. Hardware is too close to be worth arguing over until we see what exclusive title releases start to really optimize the hardware. The only real negative towards either console is Microsoft making Titan Fall a timed exclusive, I have absolutely ZERO respect for a company who bribes a developer to give them an advantage, bs business practices.

The real sales numbers will never be released, primarily because people don't like to be monitored, because in reality, every console "SOLD" will then be connected to the internet and activated. If either company released THAT number, we would have a definitive result and an actual number to work with. Not an estimate number like 5 million or 7 million ship/sold/on store shelves...

To sum this up, PS4 is destroying Xbox one and without surprise from anyone who is a gamer as Microsoft really messed up with xbox one. It's extremely weaker hardware, kinect cr*p, lack of games or exclusives, Live being mandatory for everything even the browser, and onto of netflix and other paid apps, being completely and utterly greedy and out of touch, a controller that still uses AA batteries and has horrible dead zones along with triggers that are the worst iv ever seen, a slow and clunky OS, with laughable 5 min record times, a friend message system that takes a step back from 360, ads that are considered "apart of the experience" and splashed everywhere, on top of all of this, it can barely handle 720p or 30 fps..last gen specs.
5 million in 13 countries to 7 million in 72, yea Xbox sure is getting destroyed... Theres also 6 exclusives on top of the multi platform vs 3 for PS4 so your argument just went down the toilet. Nice try though. Also if your going to complain about AA batteries, well I much prefer being able to swap the rechargeable battery pack because once the batteries go bad in a PS3/4 controller, that remote is useless which resulted in many controllers going bad for poor reasons. Its a stupid design...

First, thanks for alerting me to that, I'll fix it.

Second, no, shipping to retailers and selling directly to the consumer are two separate things. As I mentioned above, you go into a Microsoft exec's office and tell them they are successful because retailers has stockpiles of Xbox Ones on their shelves. You would not only be laughed at but fired. This is where statistics are being maligned to paint a different picture: Shipped to retailer does not tell you anything about the overall sell-through to consumers. So, no, you did not correct me, but instead are engaging in word games. No one takes "shipped" seriously, except for you. But, then, who are you?

Third, it's a thing. Why are you offended about a thing? I never understood a person's attachment to a thing. I just play games. I play games on all systems. If someone says something bad about a system I just shrug it off. It's not like my PS4 or Xbox One is going to come wake me up at night with hurt feelings.

There is a difference, however Sony has labeled them sold just like Microsoft says. You can take them at face value, however if you notice Sony is being vague by just saying we have sold 7 million. Have they said there are 7 million PS4's online currently or that users have registered? Has Microsoft said 5 million in houses? No Microsoft said we have shipped 5 million which a little more information than has been given by Sony.

I understand you are an Xbox One fanboy. There is no need to tell me what Sony and MS did, I knew that I, I'm not stupid. Playstation sold more than Xbox, doesn't matter how it sounds, it is true. Don't worry, I don't cheer for any of the consoles, neither do I own any of them, I just read the article. Fact that PS4 sold more than Xbox will maybe make Microsoft improve and stuff and later sell more Xboxes so be happy!

I have no allegiance beyond system exclusives, if its multi platform its on my PC. If its an exclusive I get it for that console, I could not care less. What I do care about is when a company lies and people applaud them or when people fight one company for doing something but applaud the other for putting it in. In this case, the DRM policy being added to the PS4 and people seem fine with that which makes little sense. Plus in actuality playstation has sold more because its available in 72 countries vs 13 for the Xbox ONE. That number looks a lot worse when you include that figure.

It's funny to watch someone fight so hard for what they believe in, even when they clearly have nothing to stand on other than their own love for their belief. The sad part now is it's for a piece of plastic crap that will mean little to nothing to you in a couple years, if not months, yet try as you might to sway others opinions you just can't...
PC is still the best and my primary system. However my arguments have plenty to stand on and the fact is ignoring one companies problems while going over anothers with a fine tooth comb is giving people the wrong idea. Sony has been making a lot of bold brash claims while keeping things vague and implementing policies users attacked Microsoft for (IE DRM anyone?) is just getting old real fast.
That being said BOTH consoles are laughable, neither has a particularly good library of exclusives, let alone cross platform games. Interface wise, if this really matters to a gamer, I guess Sony, controller longevity Microsoft. Those are so far the only two strong points for either console. Hardware is too close to be worth arguing over until we see what exclusive title releases start to really optimize the hardware. The only real negative towards either console is Microsoft making Titan Fall a timed exclusive, I have absolutely ZERO respect for a company who bribes a developer to give them an advantage, bs business practices.
Actually, in a recent statement, the Titanfall directors went to Sony wanting to put it on the PS4 and were turned away because Sony refused to release the system dev kit or even tell them the specs.

The real sales numbers will never be released, primarily because people don't like to be monitored, because in reality, every console "SOLD" will then be connected to the internet and activated. If either company released THAT number, we would have a definitive result and an actual number to work with. Not an estimate number like 5 million or 7 million ship/sold/on store shelves...
Well at least someone here understands how the system works. Ill tip my hat to you this time...

Last edited:
It's more important to highlight how much is sold to consumers and not sold to retailers. Because to investors and game developers, the more systems actually sold to the consumer the higher the potential game sales.

Say Microsoft sold 10 million units to retailers with only 3 million sold to consumers, vs 7 million PS4's sold to users and 8 million total to retailers.

Which would you rather put a game on?

So people need to stop trying to make shipped =/= sold.

Back