Xbox One developers should start with Windows 8, says Microsoft

David Tom

xbox windows microsoft xbox one app development apple android

Windows 8.1 has garnered most of the attention at Microsoft’s Build developers’ conference being held this week in San Francisco. Nevertheless, developers eager to start working on programs for the upcoming Xbox One console are still unsure of where to start. Today, Microsoft offered up a big hint, indicating that interested parties should create Windows 8 apps first.

Steve Guggenheimer, VP of Microsoft’s Developer and Platform Evangelism group, explained, “Xbox One has two engines, it’s got a gaming engine and it essentially has a Windows 8 engine.”

The demo presentation featured a Khan Academy app running on what was supposedly an Xbox One console backstage. Guggenheimer also went on to demonstrate a remote debugging process on an Xbox One web application.

After giving it some thought, it makes sense that Microsoft wants to create a unified platform. Part of Apple and Android’s widespread appeal is that a single application can reach hundreds of thousands of users, since it is not restricted to a single device or model. If Microsoft wants to gain market share in the mobile space, this is a good first step. Developers will be happy to know that by creating an app designed for the PC, it can be quickly refitted for both smartphone and console users.

"Nothing to announce today, but when I talk about that common core you're seeing that common core in action, being able to target other devices; devices over time that run the Windows 8 engine," added Guggenheimer.

There was no mention of how these Windows 8 apps would be published to the platform, or if self-published games will even be permitted. 

Permalink to story.

Does this mean MS wants game developers to shift toward touch, instead of the standard game controller?

Seriously though, did anyone actually expect MS to say anything different? It is called marketing, when they support their own latest developments. I might have had an open ear, if someone other than MS made the statement. On second thought, no I wouldn't, it is still Windows 8.

Edit:
Damn ninja'd by captaincranky

Despite the usual hate from the above posters, Microsoft IS in fact making things easier for developers. Developers can program for one MS platform and easily port things over to two other platforms.

Despite the usual hate from the above posters, Microsoft IS in fact making things easier for developers. Developers can program for one MS platform and easily port things over to two other platforms.
So, M$ had to release Windows 8 twice thus far, and Sony's PS4 is spanking Xbox in the marketplace. So shall we call this, "big news", or M$ doing the doggie paddle for shore to avoid drowning?

cliffordcooley, and you're a mean, mean, miserable man,.....(wait for it).........much like myself.;) Keep up the good work.

Forgive my skepticism! What exactly makes Windows 8 easier for developers, than developing on Windows 7 or even XP? It is my understanding that development software is not dependent upon a single OS. Furthermore what makes Windows 8 Apps easier to develop than Windows 7 Apps? For the life of me, I can't picture there being much difference in code.

Something tells me that this iteration of the eXcrement Box is going to be about as well received as Windows 8...

Well its kinda a given they want devs to work on the new OS instead of the old, I hope they keep support for windows 7, but Windows 8 should start becoming a priority being as its the new OS.

Well its kinda a given they want devs to work on the new OS instead of the old, I hope they keep support for windows 7, but Windows 8 should start becoming a priority being as its the new OS.

Devs aren't targeting Windows 8 because it is irrelevant. Windows 8 after a year has less than 5% market share. So you can build your application for win32 (windows xp - windows 8) and target everyone that has upgraded since windows 98 or you can build for Windows 8's "modern UI" and target <5% of the user base. Anyone with half a brain can see what is going to happen here.

They should build it for all honestly (or as many as they can), but they do need to make sure it works well with Windows 8 because thats the new software, Windows 7 also need to be a priority. I understand what your saying, but at the same time, when you try for such a wide area, you end up getting more issues in certain OS's, and being as Windows 8 is the newest, they need to make that a priority for support along with Windows 7.

Seems legit, I mean wasn't the xbox's one games being ran on a pc at e3 anyway? I think that was windows 7 though >_>

Why all the hate at windows 8? I've been using it since launch and not once have I used a metro app. I mean, it's there is I wanted it, and if I had a touch device I might, but the option being there has never made me hate my windows experience worse. It's not like I used to sit there with the start menu up while reading something else, and the full screen start menu is the only change for my desktop experience.

Why all the hate at windows 8? I've been using it since launch and not once have I used a metro app. I mean, it's there is I wanted it, and if I had a touch device I might, but the option being there has never made me hate my windows experience worse. It's not like I used to sit there with the start menu up while reading something else, and the full screen start menu is the only change for my desktop experience.

There's just a big anti-Microsoft circle jerk with the users here and a few other places(like reddit). I sometimes feel I've gotten too old for the internet.

They would be retarded not to offer windows 8 on xbox one, that would dust out ps4 with ease, if they did it with xbox 360 we wouldnt even remember what a playstation was.

windows 7 would be way smarter since people actually like it, but that doesn't seem to influence them unless 97% of the public is against it

p.s. hah id love to see windows 7 on ps4 that would be so funny

There's just a big anti-Microsoft circle jerk with the users here and a few other places(like reddit). I sometimes feel I've gotten too old for the internet.

Well, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

I like generally like Microsoft, but Windows 8 has put itself with Windows ME and Vista in OS user dissatisfaction.

Time honored wisdom goes like this, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Ballmer wisdom goes like this, "if it ain't broke, break it, then pass around the hat for another hundred bucks to reward yourself for your effort. There's such a thing as obsolescence, there's a thing as planned obsolescence, and then there's such a thing a forced obsolescence and extortion. Windows 8 fits into that category.

Today's social landscape could be described thus, people with either a cell phone to their ear, or a tablet one one hand, and their thumb up their a** with the other. Their only tangible skills could be described as tweeting, plastering their business all over Facebook, and running up a humongous phone.bill. Of course they do take a moment off here or there to watch, "OMG Hollywwod Insider". At some point, you have to tackle the real news. OMG, did Hayden panatierre get breast implants, I'll just die if I don't know the answer to that. Is Kim Kardashian's a** a full 16:9 now, or will we have to go to CinemaScope to to veiw it in it's full cellulited glory? My world will stop if I don't know, here and now, better get FIOS. Hey, maybe the M$ app store will have a Metro icon of her butt. Wow, I can touch and zoom that thing, because that's what really matters, and that's where Windows 8 comes in.

When I was young, real men marched off to the steel mill at 8:00 AM, instead of out for a mani-pedi.

I'm way too old for that s***, and way too smart to offer anything other than extreme predjudice, toward the leach running M$, and if you keep pushing my buttons, I'll say a few more ill things about the dead.Mr. Jobs.

This is in large part a society that no longer retains a work ethic, and reproduces itself for the sake of creating more wards of the state.

And don't get me started about the cell phone being nothing more than a fancy electronic leash, tracking device,and the biggest boon to drug dealers ever created, regardless of whichOS du jour is powering it.

If you can't handle the pressure of what I believe are legitimate gripes about having a new OS rammed down your throat every couple of years whenever the mood strikes M$, then maybe you are too old for the web, and you should curl up with an Ereader, and die. Heaven forbid you should be caught dead reading anything printed on paper. What would the neighbors say?:mad:

Who is Kim Kardashian? Sounds like a character from Star Trek. Is she an intellectual genius from eastern Europe.

Who is Kim Kardashian? Sounds like a character from Star Trek. Is she an intellectual genius from eastern Europe.
20100912_kim_kardashian_big_butt.jpg

You hadda ask....:D But in direct response no, that bad girl in not known for its intellectualism.

The name "Kardashian" is, I believe Armenian. Which is "massively" ironic because the a** end of the Caucasus Mountains runs right through Armenia....

Come to think of it, you could use that as either an obstacle, or a target, in the next release of "GTA".....*nerd*

Just goes to show how out of touch I am with modern life. My fault for not watching Big Brother, X Factor etc.

Just goes to show how out of touch I am with modern life. My fault for not watching Big Brother, X Factor etc.
I touched that post up to read,
"Which is "massively" ironic because the a** end of the Caucasus Mountains runs right through Armenia....
I would be remiss in my duties as the "Der Wurst Punmeister", if I let a huge opportunity like that slip away......

Back