Xbox Series X pre-orders sold out even faster than the PlayStation 5

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What just happened? Microsoft started taking pre-orders for the Xbox Series X|S late Tuesday morning, and like Sony, most retailers depleted their initial allotments within hours. Unlike Sony, stores did wait until Microsoft gave them the green light, but users still struggled to get orders placed in time.

Part of the problem was that Microsoft let users know precisely when pre-orders would go live. Customers anxious to get the next-gen console ended up bottlenecking purchasing pages triggering DDoS countermeasures. In other instances, stores tried to reduce server load by asking users to wait in line.

App developer Zach Gage discovered that GameStop's queue was nothing more than a trick to make users wait indefinitely.

"Wow, this Xbox pre-order situation is such a mess that GameStop is literally just trying to defend its own servers by claiming you're in a queue and 'Please don't refresh or you will lose your spot," Gage tweeted.

He posted a screenshot of the source code, showing that the page was merely looped to refresh itself every 30 seconds. He didn't even think to check that until he had been waiting 30 minutes.

Polygon noted that even Amazon's Xbox pages were bogged down and would not load. Walmart, Target, and Best Buy customers experienced similar problems.

As of this writing, Amazon's purchase page gives you an access denied error then quickly redirects to Microsoft's full-page ad for the Xbox Series X. GameStop's does the same thing but sends you to a store page of related products. Walmart only has an option to get an "in-stock" alert.

Best Buy lists the Series X as "Coming Soon," and appears to have the Series S in stock. However, clicking the purchase button brings up the following message:

"Due to high demand, this item hasn't been added to your cart. Please wait a few minutes before trying again."

I gave up after five "few minutes" of trying.

The only site that seemed to still have consoles in stock was Newegg. However, checking back just before publishing this article showed it has run out as well.

And yes. Scalpers have already taken to eBay where they are asking over $1,000 for XBSX pre-orders.

Fortunately, there have been no whispers of an Xbox Series X shortage, like there have been with the PlayStation 5. So stores should soon have new allotments. Just keep your eyes on all the usual outlets and grab one fast.

Permalink to story.

I am so thankful that now that I have the 3080, I needn't worry about either then PS5 or the Xbox anymore. Thus far, I've seen no exclusives for either that I'm interested in.

Seems like a business opportunity for people good with web languages, seems these companies would pay good money for someone to develop a solution.

Xbox and PS5 are both great m/cs - I will buy the PS5 in a few years - but out of interest - is co-op good with someone on the PC and another person on the XBOX in your house? - and does the game pass allow it to happen one 1 a/c - because that would be a huge advantage

The 3080 is hands down better.

I'm anxious to see if the 3090 will be better in my system

That much I know I would like to see how much a 2080Ti can make up with overclocking, I tried google but cant find anyone doing comparison like that

Xbox and PS5 are both great m/cs - I will buy the PS5 in a few years - but out of interest - is co-op good with someone on the PC and another person on the XBOX in your house? - and does the game pass allow it to happen one 1 a/c - because that would be a huge advantage
I'm not sure what walls they have up to prevent playing the same game from one account on an Xbox and PC. But if you had 2 people with Game Pass (one on PC and one on Xbox), there certainly are more and more games embracing cross-platform support (co-op).

Right now I play Cod:MW on my PC with a buddy on Xbox. XBL allows us to easily party up too... Well, except when we invite our friend on PS4 lol

Last edited:
The 3080 is hands down better.

I'm anxious to see if the 3090 will be better in my system
Imgaine paying 110 percent the money for something 20 percent or less better.
Imagine only 10gb vram for 4k which is the only thing the 3080 is worth getting for when watchdogs 2 recommends 11gb of vram for 4k.

Imagine only 10gb vram for 4k which is the only thing the 3080 is worth getting for when watchdogs 2 recommends 11gb of vram for 4k.

I just bought it because it said "3080" and the last one I bought said "2080Ti"

I assumed the "3080" must be better because 3 is more than 2.

Was able to get my Series X perorder in. On bestbuy of all places.

Cyberpunk is the game I'm looking forward to playing the most and honestly prefer most RPGs on a large TV, but like first person games more on the PC. So I'll see how that goes. Spiderman will be on PS4, and that was the only PS5 title I wanted to play at launch. But Will no doubt get that console when ratchet and clank drops later in 2021.

It was crazy tying to get my peorder in. The MS site was a joke..

This article has an error. The Gamestop page actually did redirect you to their website. I waited in the queue and was redirected to their website after a short while.

I am so thankful that now that I have the 3080, I needn't worry about either then PS5 or the Xbox anymore. Thus far, I've seen no exclusives for either that I'm interested in.

In PC it really doesnt matter that there is no games to play,it only matters that you post your new card Specs and count how many FPS you get on the same game that it was already running fine.

There are people in this world who would buy a console for $1200? And this illegal price gouging is being allowed to go on?

The WWW in Ebay website stands for Wild Wild West it seems. Bunch of scammers, scalpers and hoarders just trying to loot people by selling $10 Doritos, $50 toilet paper and now every single hardware released recently at double the price.

Why would you be in such a rush to buy a console? Surely you can wait a couple of weeks or months to see how things span out. I will wait to see if there will be some more games on them that I'm interested in and then I will make the decision.

Why?

There's nothing to play on the damn thing apart from stuff you can already play on the current console via game-pass.

People, stupid people.

I don't understand how these websites struggle so much during hardware releases. Like many potential buyers, I experienced the fiasco that was Target's website yesterday. I was able to add a Series X to my cart, but when moving forward with checkout my cart showed as empty. If I tried again to purchase the Series X, I received a message that my empty cart had reached the item limit.

I then waited 20 minutes and refreshed my cart. Lo and behold, a Series X was waiting for my checkout. I guess that makes me one of the lucky ones.

I have a gaming computer and bought an Xbox One to my daughter and son. I'm subscribed to GamePass ultimate and we've been having a blast at home. I've been able to install and play games in both console and pc, I just use my main account to activate the gamepass on the console and my kids can play those games with their own accounts and if the game supports cross-platform multiplayer we all can play together, it's been really fun. I hope to buy a series X just for that function alone, I've not spent a dime beyond the gamepass.

People still take system requirements seriously these day ??

I'm confident that RTX 3080 will beat RTX 2080 Ti in this game at 4K. Wait and see.

Back