XFX Radeon R7 250 (R7-250A-ZLF4) 1024MB PCIe x16 Gen 3.0

I posted a topic about the EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Super Clocked 1280 MB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 012-P3-1472-AR, and right after realized that the Graphics card is a little bit too much money.

Anyways, I am now looking at a XFX Radeon R7 250 (R7-250A-ZLF4) 1024MB PCIe x16 Gen 3.0 and I kind of have the same questions.

First off, can I run it. Newegg has the details of the Graphics card and its requirements:

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-14-150-682

Here's my system info and my current graphic card info

Computer Specs.PNG

Graphics Card Specs.PNG

Second, I will need to get a new PSU as this requires 400W, and my current PSU is only 250W. Should I get a PSU with 450W or should a 400W work fine? What PSU do you think I should get as I am stumped. Also, if I replace my computer's PSU, will I run into any complications?

PSU.jpg

Third, I believe I have a PCI e x16 (ill post a picture just in case I actually don't have one) and this Graphics Card says PCI e x16 Gen 3.0. What exactly does that mean and will I run into any problems if I install it?

PCI e x16.jpg

Graphics1.jpg

Lastly, what other things do I need to take into consideration as I think about getting this Graphics Card?

Replace that Bestec (they are cheaply made) with a Corsair power supply. Go with a 450 to 500 watt psu; I personally would go 500 watts. Never go cheap with the psu as it is the backbone to any system.

The PCI-e x Gen 3.0 is the latest rendition of the PCI-e video card architecture. The 3.0 is backwards compatible so it will work in your system but keep in mind the card will be limited by what you have due to the motherboard limitations.

A very important question: What do you want your system upgraded to do?

Replace that Bestec (they are cheaply made) with a Corsair power supply. Go with a 450 to 500 watt psu; I personally would go 500 watts. Never go cheap with the psu as it is the backbone to any system.

The PCI-e x Gen 3.0 is the latest rendition of the PCI-e video card architecture. The 3.0 is backwards compatible so it will work in your system but keep in mind the card will be limited by what you have due to the motherboard limitations.

A very important question: What do you want your system upgraded to do?

I ended up contacting AMD directly and they recommended I buy a 430W Corsair PSU and told me that it would work in my system. I got the Graphics card and PSU in yesterday, installed it and everything works perfectly. It shot up my graphics rating from 3.4 all the way to 7.3 :) And now every game I play can be played at the highest setting possible (in my brother's case, he can now play World of Warcraft at the Ultra setting). So the graphics card does exactly what I wanted it to. Thank you for your time and for replying though, I really appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
Back