Xiaomi announces pint-sized Mi Box Mini media streamer, priced to sell

Shawn Knight

Staff member

xiaomi box mini media streaming set-top box streaming media mi box mini media streamer

As if picking a fight with the Galaxy Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus earlier today wasn’t enough, China’s top smartphone vendor also decided to bolster its set-top box lineup with a new pint-sized media streamer affectionately known as the Xiaomi Mi Box Mini.

Despite its small stature, the Mi Box Mini packs a sizable punch with its Cortex A7 quad-core 1.3GHz processor from MediaTek, Mali-450 GPU, 1GB of RAM and 4GB of onboard storage. The device runs Android and also includes dual band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and DTS 2.0 with Dolby Digital Plus.

The power supply is built-in so all you’d need to do is plug in the small brick and connect it to your television via included HDMI cable. Buyers will also get a wireless remote that communicates via Bluetooth.

xiaomi box mini media streaming set-top box streaming media mi box mini media streamer

Specifications aside, the Mi Box Mini is drawing attention for its small size – it’s roughly the size of a smartphone charger and is a quarter the size of Xiaomi’s existing full-size Mi Box. And with a price point of around $30, it could also be a serious threat to Google’s Chromecast and other stick-style media streamers.

That is, if it ever shows up on US soil.

The company plans to start accepting pre-orders for the Mi Box Mini on January 20 in China and will begin shipping shortly after. Xiaomi hasn’t said whether or not the streamer will be offered outside of its homeland.

Permalink to story.

So tell me again how Xiaomi is living off taking other people's products and making them cheaper. If you've ever used even a single Xiaomi product you'd know they don't make cheap knockoffs - they're a real force to be reckoned with. I for one have been using their MIUI rom since 2011 and I'm extremely happy to note(sorry) how far they've come.

So tell me again how Xiaomi is living off taking other people's products and making them cheaper. If you've ever used even a single Xiaomi product you'd know they don't make cheap knockoffs - they're a real force to be reckoned with. I for one have been using their MIUI rom since 2011 and I'm extremely happy to note(sorry) how far they've come.

Marketting. That simple.

A teacher of mine once said that out of the $3 coke (Dismiss pricing, it's just a practical example) bottle, to get the bottle and fill it up it should be around $0.20 or maybe even less, you have around a buck for marketting purposes and the rest is proffit. Here they don't pay that buck per "cola" bottle in marketting, they just make the 20c bottle and charge 80c proffit.

Probably someone invented it, and was about to release, but Xiaomi was just too fast stealing it and re-branding for quick buck ;) That's their trait :)

Remember Rambus - №1 patent thief? Well, Xiaomi is №1 technology thief, they move like a ninja in the night and steal your $hit before you even come up with it, fast enough to claim it was their own :)

Last edited:

Probably someone invented it, and was about to release, but Xiaomi was just too fast stealing it and re-branding for quick buck ;) That's their trait :)

Remember Rambus - â„–1 patent thief? Well, Xiaomi is â„–1 technology thief, they move like a ninja in the night and steal your $hit before you even come up with it, fast enough to claim it was their own :)

Exactly and patent laws are different in China, so it tends to be easier to get away with stuff like this. Thus it is not always a great idea to have your product manufactured in China since you will most likely see a knock off hit the market pretty quickly, even if it's just in China itself.

So tell me again how Xiaomi is living off taking other people's products and making them cheaper.

So?, anyone should be making smartphones since apple made the first one with the iphone?, or dvds,
refrigerators, cars, etc?... (I'm not saying apple invented all those, hehehe). Now it looks like google invented the mediaplayers with the chromecast.

I wish this device has google play open so I can run fox play and others on it.

Remember Rambus - â„–1 patent thief? Well, Xiaomi is â„–1 technology thief, they move like a ninja in the night and steal your $hit before you even come up with it, fast enough to claim it was their own :)

And your sources for this alleged stealing of technology is where now?

Back