Xiaomi unveils its new Mi 4 flagship smartphone

xiaomi china smartphone mi 4

Xiaomi has finally taken the wraps off its new flagship phone, the Mi 4, after leaking details and teasing its reveal for some time. The device, which runs on Android, improves upon its predecessor with a metal frame instead of sticking to all plastic.

The Mi 4 features similar components to other companies' flagship phones, including a 5-inch 1080p screen, 2.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor, 3 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal memory, a rear facing 13-megapixel camera and 8-megapixel front facing camera, and a whopping 3080 mAh battery.

The new smartphone will be available starting for CNY 1,999 (around $322 USD) for the 16 GB model, while the 64 GB version will cost CNY 2,499 (around $403 USD). The 3G China Unicom version will go on sale on July 29, and the China Telecom version will land in August, while 4G versions will arrive in September. Xiaomi has not announced international versions at this time.

While the device does support 4G, the initial models will only support TD LTE, which is the standard that the three Chinese carriers use. Xiaomi says support for the internatonal FD LTE standard will come before the end of 2014.

Xiaomi has made a name for itself selling smartphones with high-end specs at a low-end price and is currently expanding overseas operations after a record year, with launches in Singapore, Malaysia, India, and the Philippines. The company seeks to expand its fan base and hopes to ship 100 million smartphones next year, with the eventual intent of possibly taking on Apple with its own brand of smartphone.

Permalink to story.

One thing I noticed about these phones is that they are selling high end specs for cheap but they always have buggy software and build quality is quite poor, sometimes even has defects (I had one like that) and it won't last long. I'm not saying they're bad, but pretty inconsistent about their quiality. If you are lucky, you'll get a perfect working one, if not, expect to have some issues. Also, cheaper phones from brands like this are even more inconsistent and have a really high failure rate.

Well if they can crack it in international markets at those prices they'll surely make the big brands rethink the pricing of their ludicrously overpriced flagship models.

One thing I noticed about these phones is that they are selling high end specs for cheap but they always have buggy software and build quality is quite poor, sometimes even has defects (I had one like that) and it won't last long. I'm not saying they're bad, but pretty inconsistent about their quiality. If you are lucky, you'll get a perfect working one, if not, expect to have some issues. Also, cheaper phones from brands like this are even more inconsistent and have a really high failure rate.

The poor quality also leads to higher chance of explosion. There are already a lot of cases reported.
It's safe not to carry a potential bomb.

Xiaomi has made a name for itself selling smartphones with high-end specs at a low-end price and is currently expanding overseas operations after a record year, with launches in Singapore, Malaysia, India, and the Philippines.
'old model' xiaomi mi3 retails around 10,599php (~44 Philippine pesos=1$ u.s.)

Raybk said:

I bet you live in deeeeep basement to avoid terrorist hijacked planes that are crashing here and there
And of course you never leave it, since there, on the surface, lots of rednecks with shotguns, drunk drivers. And occasionally there are Kirov zeppelins flying around dropping bombs.

Have you ever held a xiaomi phone in your hand and used it? I have a xiaomi hongmi (aka red rice - at around 160$ - imported from china). From the screen to the software it beats any samsung and iphone I've ever used (except maybe the latest version from samsung and iphone, but that's a 500$ difference in price where I live).

The software was a really big surprise. It's very stable and I only had the phone reset once after a year of using it. It got stuck in an app and no buttons worked anymore, and it automatically reset itself (it's a really nice feature).
The battery is amazing and the build quality feels very high end. Nothing like the plastic feel you get from samsung phones. The camera is also very good (very good pictures during the day and night - check some samples online to see how good they are). I've also dropped the phone multiple times on the street and it didn't even scratch.

Right now xiaomi is bigger than apple in China and it's selling extremely well in the west with a failure rate lower than samsung and apple.

Have you ever held a xiaomi phone in your hand and used it? I have a xiaomi hongmi (aka red rice - at around 160$ - imported from china). From the screen to the software it beats any samsung and iphone I've ever used (except maybe the latest version from samsung and iphone, but that's a 500$ difference in price where I live).

The software was a really big surprise. It's very stable and I only had the phone reset once after a year of using it. It got stuck in an app and no buttons worked anymore, and it automatically reset itself (it's a really nice feature).
The battery is amazing and the build quality feels very high end. Nothing like the plastic feel you get from samsung phones. The camera is also very good (very good pictures during the day and night - check some samples online to see how good they are). I've also dropped the phone multiple times on the street and it didn't even scratch.

Right now xiaomi is bigger than apple in China and it's selling extremely well in the west with a failure rate lower than samsung and apple.
No, Im talking out of my *** for no reason.

I've seen some crappy Chinese phones but Xiaomi certainly does not deserve to be included in that bunch.
Developer ROM has bugs for sure, but standard ROM has never had any issues.
Build quality is very good if you get a real one, and reports of malfunction are nearly zero.
They're popular in china because Mi2s is comparable/better than iphone 5s but costs 1/5 of the price.

Back