Xiaomi unveils Redmi Note 4 at an unbelievable price point

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Chinese handset maker Xiaomi has announced the successor to its popular Redmi Note 3 smartphone. Aptly named the Redmi Note 4, the new handset packs a premium look at a price point that’s almost too good to be true.

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 features a 5.5-inch, 1080p curved-glass display that’s driven by MediaTek’s 10-core Helio X20 SoC and your choice of 2GB / 3GB of RAM and 16GB / 64GB of local storage.

A 13-megapixel primary camera with dual tone flash can be found on the backside while a 5-megapixel shooter handles selfie duties up front. There’s also a dual SIM card slot, an SD card slot for expanded storage, a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor and a sizable 4,100mAh battery.

It’ll ship running Android 6.0 Marshmallow with Xiaomi’s MIUI 8.0 skin on top (no word yet on when it’ll get Nougat but it’s still very early days for Google’s latest OS revision).

The Redmi Note 4 goes on sale tomorrow in China priced at RMB 899 (around $135) for the model with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of flash storage or RMB 1,199 (roughly $180) for the 3GB / 64GB configuration in your choice of silver, gold or dark grey color schemes.

As The Verge notes, Xiaomi has only announced the handset for its home market although it’s highly likely that we’ll see the company bring it to additional markets at some point.

Permalink to story.

I'm chary of these Chinese made devices. Not that I'd always shun them, it's the UI that always looks so sketchy to me. Knuckles taps, elbow jabs, head butt gestures etc. are not my cup of tea.

I don't like their UI either. It's only good if you install AOSP or something similar.

The problem with the Redmi is that they're cheaply constructed. If you can handle that, then they're fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7H9OmV0OPI

Mostly I'm concerned about the build strength.
besides the bend test (which isn't actually a problem) everything else is really good. it survives big drops and it's very scratch resistant. it also gets updates as often as 1 per week.
I've used 3 different xiaomi phones and none had problems even after many years of usage. you can buy them knowing they will survive for many years.

And still the LG G3 destroy all the midrange phones
If your not looking for 2k res the hardware on this phone obliterates the LG G3.

180$ version is 1080p 3 gig ram, 2.3 hex core, 64g storage, 4,100mAh battery

192$ LG G3 2k res 2 gig ram, 2.5 quad core, 16 gb storage, 3,000 am battery

If your not looking for 2k res the hardware on this phone obliterates the LG G3.

I agree with you on the specs being better.

but I do have to remind you that 2K is actually 1080p (cinema resolution). 1440p is closer to 2.5k

in general you'll get phones with higher resolution than 1080p if you want to use them with mobile VR headsets. otherwise it's just a waste of battery.

I agree with you on the specs being better.

but I do have to remind you that 2K is actually 1080p (cinema resolution). 1440p is closer to 2.5k

in general you'll get phones with higher resolution than 1080p if you want to use them with mobile VR headsets. otherwise it's just a waste of battery.
Yeah I used 2k as a general higher then 1080p lower than 4k thing, I'm not to privy on the actual terminology. I was thinking the same thing, what is actually out there for people on a phone beyond 1080? Maybe a few netflix\amazon prime videos?

Samsung never sued them for using the "Note" name? personally, I'll stick to my samie, these chinese makers are just too shady for my likes. Note 4 is still getting software updates into 2016! love the support that samsung provides even 2 years after release.

Samsung never sued them for using the "Note" name? personally, I'll stick to my samie, these chinese makers are just too shady for my likes. Note 4 is still getting software updates into 2016! love the support that samsung provides even 2 years after release.
both samsung and apple most likely have some closed doors deals with them. it's just too obvious.
as for updates, the 1st gen xiaomi redmi (which is a budget phone from 2013) is still getting updates almost weekly.

both samsung and apple most likely have some closed doors deals with them. it's just too obvious.
as for updates, the 1st gen xiaomi redmi (which is a budget phone from 2013) is still getting updates almost weekly.
I actually never heard of anyone trying to sue Chinese companies over trademarks, neither Samsung, Apple over obvious name issues, or knockoffs, but also Lego, BMW, Mercedes have Chinese counterparts that don't get sued...

Some would argue that Samsung is shady rather than these chinese makers.

in my country you can have an almost new LG G3 for 130$ with 3GB of ram and 32GB of storage dont be fooled by the hexa core thing the snapdragon 801 is still one of the best

I would love to see Xiaomi come out with something like this that has a nice stylus with WACOM technology like Samsung's Note series. In fact, I'd like to see any of the other companies make a nice looking phablet with a stylus and proper WACOM technology. This particular phone seems to have a beautiful design, considering the price and manufacturer (Xiaomi is known for releasing devices with fast SoC's but the build quality typically is lacking).

Now that Samsung is locking down all their phones (even T-Mobile can't get Note 7's or S7's with unlocked bootloaders, and they ALWAYS have til now), I would love to switch from my Note 5 to a different model. Thing is, even though I don't use the stylus constantly, I still use it quite a bit and I do love it. Therefore, I really wanna find something that has some great specs, WACOM tech with a stylus, and an unlocked bootloader (or at least the ability to unlock it easily with a utility from the manufacturer) so I can do some proper modding if I choose to. I really don't like the current trend of locking us out of our phones completely. I understand the security risks are real, but the end-user should ALWAYS be able to opt-out of using certain apps and root their phone at their own risk. It's not like we're asking them to support our rooted phones (even though T-Mobile has always done this for me). I just want the option, as do many other power users.

Last edited:
Back