TechSpot

Xiaomi's first US product is the Mi Box, a $69 Android TV streamer

By Jos
Oct 3, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Xiaomi’s venture into the U.S. market starts today with the Android TV-powered Mi Box. Announced at Google I/O earlier this year, the $69 device is the cheapest Android TV device capable of 4K and HDR streaming at 60Hz over an HDMI 2.0a interface, undercutting the recently refreshed Roku lineup which brings the aforementioned features at $80-$100.

In terms of specs the Mi Box itself is a midrange device, featuring a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU processor, 2GB of RAM, and 8GB of flash storage. There are ports for HDMI, SPDIF out and a single USB port to support external storage, while wireless connectivity options include 802.11n/ac dual-band WiFi 2.4GHz and 5GHz, plus Bluetooth 4.0.

The box will ship with a slim remote that includes a microphone for voice commands and Xiaomi will also be selling a Bluetooth controller for gaming. The Mi Box has Google Cast built-in, allowing users to stream content from their smartphone or tablet to the big screen — a la Airplay. It can also access the Google Play Store for apps and content.

Xiaomi is taking pre-orders for the $69 Mi Box now and expects the device to begin shipping October 6, with retail availability at Walmart and others.

Permalink to story.

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,556   +862

Really? they looked at the US market and said, wow, what they really need is another streaming box?

fl21289 likes this.
  3. fl21289

fl21289 TS Booster Posts: 59   +38

Or just stick with a chromecast for $30?

4. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

I didn't know the chromecast can stream x265 HEVC (4k)...

5. gusticles41

gusticles41 TS Rookie Posts: 26   +15

The newest model can, just announced today. $69, but a proven successful platform.

6. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

I think the ARM Cortex in this thing will be faster. I'd wait to see the specs on the ultra...