XP Autorestart/BSOD due to device driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm new to this and I couldn't find any other threads with my exact problem, so I'm starting a new one.

Recently (although we think it's been happening periodically since we bought the thing), our computer has been auto-restarting shortly after Windows XP starts up. Once I disabled the autorestart function, we started getting the BSOD, with the error PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA. We thought the problem was an upgraded video card driver so we reverted back to the old driver. Everything was fine but it happened again this morning...autorestart, even though that option is disabled!! :confused: Once it restarted the wonderfully descriptive error message came up: "The System has recovered from a serious error". I sent the error report to Microsoft :haha: and it opened the web page for device driver errors.

Anyway, I'm attaching the minidump file from this morning so that hopefully some kind person will take pity on me and read it.

Thanks!!!!!!!!
itgurl (definitely a misnomer!)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your problem may well be caused by bad ram.

Download and run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org.

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the quick response. We ran the memtest overnight last night and it passed 15 times. So I guess it's not the RAM...which is good, but bad in that we haven't found the problem yet! Any other ideas would be appreciated! :D

Thanks!
itgurl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back