XP blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam106

MY friend has a problem with his windows, it keeps giving a blue screen, he did not say what xp operating system he has.My first option was to clone the hard drive
in case anything happened to the data. What i did was to install windows xp pro in a new
folder. When i finished i found out that the other profile has xp home on it. No problem cause i did not change any on the file system. So all the settings on the xp home profile should still be the same. So now it will be easy for me to repair the xp home profile, without any problems. My Question is, if i delete the folder with the xp pro windows. Will xp home still work fine.

If you fix your problem using your second OS (XP Pro) then your ready to revert back to XP Home then edit the settings in the boot.ini file found in C:\ (You might have to go into folder options and enable the option that allows you to see protected system files).

Okay i understand what you are saying. Because i installed windows xp in a seperate folder, when the pc now boots. Its shows windows xp pro and windows xp home. I understand that in order to stop xp pro from booting, i need to edit the boot ini file. Which i'm wavering to do unless i have a detail instruction on what to do. So can i just delete the xp pro windows folder in windows xp home. Or will it just generate errors, I need to know if it will mess up my home installation. Someone said you can do it. But did not say the correct procedure.

Well deleting the WinXP Pro folder would leave some untidy empty paths behind so all you have to do is take out the WinXP Pro out of the boot.ini file.

Use Notepad to open the boot.ini file then do the following.

With in that file there will be two lines that look roughly like this, Don't worry if there is a little difference:
Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" 

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

You need to delete this one:

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After that you save the changes you made to the boot.ini file and boot into XP home then delete the WinXP folder.

That should keep things nice and tidy.

Thanks for the help. The guy i usually ask for help has a god complex. AS in he is arrogant to tell you
that you can do it, but not tell you how to do it or anyway help you.

diferent problem

I'm now working on a defirent problem. A pc has 2 windows xp pro installation, both in 2 defirent folders. On gives a windows root>\system32\hal.dll. error. Obiously i need to repair windows. But the pc has to windows installations on the c: drive. When i boot up with the cd it show c: windows\0. The first installtion on the pc should be c:windows, right? Now the new installtion of windows in the new folder should be c:windows\0. Both installation must be reapaired. If i repair the new instalation C:windows\0, How do i repair the old instalation then c:windows, since it wont show the old windows first anymore. Since the new one C:windows\0 take priority. I need to know how i can back to the old windows,so that i can reapair it.

hi i keep getting blue screen on start up if i turne off the computer and back on it works fine all day i have put in new ram and the harddriv is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back