xp boot-up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

Alright so my loading is alright, it takes six passes from that blue bar thing to load...but for some reason, when there is a cd rom in the drive, it starts spinning up towards the end of the six passes and makes it longer than six passes until i take the cd out or wait til over 10 passes. Is this normal xp behavior? A cd in the drive making it take longer to boot?

First guess is that you have a bootup virus scan that is looking for floppies and CDs to scan.
Otherwise it may just be XP going around reading all your drives, which may take longer if there is data in it?

Check your Antivirus settings for bootup scans.

Couldn't tell you off hand. If you double-click the AVG icon in the system tray (by the clock), it will take you into the main program. And then look around in there for an "options" or "configuration" area.
Most every Antivirus has a bootup scan for floppies option, but maybe this has a bootup scan for CDs too.

I'll have to expirement with it.

But I wouldn't call it a "bug" per se. As XP initializes your drives on startup, it may have to spend some extra time when there is data in there. It may be nothing.
I'll let you know if I find out more.

Ah, thank you for even considering experimenting. I'll just wait for the result, either way it isn't too big of a deal ya know? Again, thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back