Xp Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

yannaz

Hey, I have recently re-formatted my Laptop and put XP on that came with the laptop.

The system is running smoothly and really well. However, every now and then, and I dont use the word randomly out of context here, because it is really random, the whole laptop freezes (ie, cant move the mouse, all activity on the screen stops, cant use any of the laptops functions like turning on and off the wireless).

Also 9 times out of 10 when this happens a little line at the top of the screen which varies in length appears which I can only describe as a line of primary colours.

System Specs:

Fujitsu Siemens AMILO L7320
INTEL CELERON M 1.7GHz
1 GIG RAM

Display Specs:
Card name: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
Manufacturer: VIA/S3G
Chip type: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3344&SUBSYS_10CD1734&REV_01
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

---

Can anyone help me?

Yannaz

All my Graphics card and Monitor Drivers are up to date... How do I check my mother board?

Yanz

Ok this is gonna be difficult.

I don't know the word in English.

Check the things on your mobo that look like you can put a screwdriver on it. You got about 10 or 12 of them. Normally they would be silver. If on one of them is another color then there is something wrong.

Please tell me if you understood this.

Ok, I will try that, thank you.... Ill have to get my dad to help me because I dont want to get blamed if it goes wrong.

Thanks

I reformatted by accident, as I was trying Ubuntu... however, due to my lack of knowledge on linux and partitions and such. I managed to wipe the one and only hard drive with the ubuntu setup. However, I knew I might do something like that, so I saved all my docs and other things onto a USB hard drive.

So I had ubuntu on my laptop but no XP because it had formatted the hard drive and then installed Ubuntu. So I put XP back on and using the simple setup, formatted the drive, put on XP and then installed all my programs and put my docs back on and Im left with this problem..

An update however: It seems that it doesn't crash without the wireless on.

Thanks

Hi yannaz

Obviously re-confirm your wireless adaptor has all the right drivers loaded. (this may include any updated USB and network drivers)
I'd even say remove wireless fully, and re-install.

But actually this fault may be related to your on board Ram (at least that's when I've seen this) You can run Memtest on your Ram to confirm.

Another interesting point, you say that you formatted and re-installed Windows, but did you also remove the Linux partition (ie it still may be there!)

You can run Gparted to confirm your partitions.

By the way I do not understand frankibo comments, and should say that putting a screw driver on any silver part is NOT recommended.

ok, thanks, my dad is home today, so he will help me with the removing of mem sticks and such...

Im am possitive that there was nothing on the computer when I installed XP. It was a completely clean laptop. (it wouldnt load any OS or anything at the start). When choosing where to install XP. The only partition was the size of my hard drive anyway. So nothing else would be installed.

Thanks

Ok but it may still be wiser to go back and actually remove the partition on Windows setup.

If you decided to re-install again that is.

Better to memtest first I feel

because I have no idea what im doing with partitions or should i say the ubuntu setup software... and they say its meant to be simpler and better than windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back