TechSpot

XP Gaming Machine Profile

By StormBringer
Dec 10, 2002
  1. I thought this might come in handy to all you Hardcore Gamers who want to get a little more from your system.

2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

The guide above should work on w2k too, as they're both able to use different hardware profiles...

Guess I'll do that before my next LAN party :)

3. markoss

markoss TS Rookie

I have 256 mb ram and in virtual memory it sais RAMvalue is 768 MB. Is this good? or wrong? it also sais recommended is 382 mb ram. i am running windows xp prof.

4. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 2,871

The recommended value of the Pagefile is 1.5 x the physical RAM, so 384 MB should be the recommended size and the size you should probably be using. Set the minimum and maximum size at 384MB. Having too large of a pagefile can actually slow down the system.

5. Clarky

Clarky TS Rookie

Where do I go to change all that values?

6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 2,871

What values, the pagefile? Right click My Computer, click Properties. A dialog box will open, click the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings. Another box will open, click the Advanced Tab, under Virtual Memory, click Change and it will allow you to specify the size and location of the Pagefile.

7. Mr.Guvernment

Mr.Guvernment TS Rookie Posts: 85

8. boansi

boansi TS Rookie

Where do you go to tweak the services?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.