XP home stuck on windows splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My sister neighbour is having problems starting up their computer. The computer starts up and then goes to the splash screen with the windows logo and the loading bar going left to right. It stays on this screen and nothing else happens.

Im fixing this because I got their internet set up (just put in the cd and pressed next alot). They asked me to try and fix it.

Tried in safe mode but doesn’t work, loads some files and stops on one of the driver files.

Normal and last known good configuration doesn’t work as well just goes to the plash screen.

They don’t have the XP Home cd that came with the computer, and I only have an XP Pro cd. I suggested they format and install my XP Pro but they don’t want to lose their data.

They have an E machines computer, I hear the company no longer exists. So cant contact them.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is an eMachines... What's the model number? It is probably a hard drive failure, but the power supply and motherboard may need replacing too.

First, get another hard drive and set it up with XP Pro. Make sure everything else is working. Take the old (customer's boot/data disk) drive and set it as the secondary drive D or E. You can then move data and pictures over to the new drive... Don't try to move programs unless you have the install discs or files for them

Dont know the number, as i havent been to my sister for a few days. Just wondering if i can use my XP Pro cd and try and repair the XP Home on the computer?

I'll get the number when i go next time.

Isnt there any way I can fix this with having to do all of that. Cause the computer owner will then need to buy a new HHD.

Ill try taking a look inside and see if anything is lose.

I think this has happened because there was a power failure in their building and when they turned on the PC it wouldnt get past the splash screen.

They dont have their boot disk that came with the computer. they lost it or misplaced it somewhere.

eMachines are not built using "quality" parts. Once they start to fail, it is like a waterfall, parts just fail one after another. In your case, first motherboard, power supply then maybe the hard drive. I really think the motherboard was pushed over the edge by the power surge, taking out the power supply even though you still have some power

The number for the computer is eMachine 380.

There was a number on the bottom of the tower, called it but was no use.

The CD drive doesnt work any more, tried to boot a XP cd but it kept going to the safe mode screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back