XP not recognizing Removable Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ831

For some reason my computer won't show the Removable Storage icons whenever I plug in something via USB. My printer works but nothing that is removable storage i.e. flash drives, external zip drives etc work. They used to work but then from one day to the next the icons just won't show up. My computer still recognizes the storage as it still shows up in the Unplug/Eject Hardware icon at the bottom of the screen. They also show up in the device manager as working properly. I can't get in them though because the icons won't show up!! Can anyone help? I chatted with Del and they told me I had to reinstall windows lol. I really don't want to do that though. =/.

^That's the way I used to do it but for some reason the icons don't show up on My Computer. =/

A friend of mine had this problem with his external HD a while back, but it turned out for some odd reason the HD was just no longer assigned a drive letter - so try assigning it one =)

Press the START button, right click on My Computer, select Manage, Disk Management, and find a drive with no "letter". Right click on the drive and select Assign a Drive Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back