xp or router error? some web pages only load with dialup modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. A newcomer here. I have been reading and learning from you lot for some time but now I have my own problem and need some help please. I have two computers (me & XP pro) sharing a router (origo 8400). worked fine when both running me but due to new ipod upgraded one computer to xp and the trouble started. the me one still works fine and allows all web pages to browsed. the xp one has been a right pain. i have browsing the net for answers for the last couple months and tried everything (even total re-install). i cant access any microsoft sites, wwe.com (sons site) and several others. If however I access the net through the old 56k modem then everything works! suggests a router error? but the me one works on the router! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Uninstall the dialup modem...use the New Connection Wizard in XP to establish a connection..make sure the NIC is enabled in Device Manager also.

still no joy

Hi triplate and thanks for the advice. I have now removed the dial up modem physically from the computer and used connection wizard for new connection. I cant however find any reference to NIC in the device manager. Is there something I've missed? Cheers Paul

I assumed you had a pci NIC installed..if not, you can get onbe for 6-15$...install it..load the driver from the floppy it comes with...then use the New Connection Wizard....you do have DSL or Cable, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back