TechSpot

xp pro cd

By onesmartidiot
Jan 9, 2007
  1. hey, my windows xp sp1 disc bit the dust the other day, and im gonna need it in a day or 2 when my new mainboard comes. i cant find JUST THE DISC anywhere, they are always packaged with a license (which i paid 156 for the first time and its on the front of my box). i cant find an iso download or anything, and my other computer is xp home, so i cant use that disc. i was 13 or 14 when i got my first disc from the computer shop, and it was copied ( cause i started getting mad when it didnt come with a disc) so i dont know how illigal that was but itd be nice to reformat my drive again, so anyone know any websites that sell the disc or let you get the iso?

i know some dudes gonna come by and close this cause it says download....

just keep in mind i bought the license sticker already

2. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 293

If you have the XP Pro sticker on your PC all you need is a XP Pro OEM CD. Search for this and when you install it you can put in your licence key during install.

3. onesmartidiot

onesmartidiot TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 95

if i got ahold of an oem sp2 cd would my key still work?

4. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 441

you can buy an oem windows xp pro sp2 cd from here:
    www.softwareoutlet.com
    back in november, i paid $79.00 for it. it's an oem cd and comes with c.o.a. and key. now, it's listed for $89.00
    you can give it a try.
    by the way, if you already have your sticker of license, you can borrow a cd from somebody else and use your key. (the cd's have to be the same kind).

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

alidabiri is right, if yours was an OEM disk you can use another OEM disk with your key. Retail disk you need a retail disk to use your key. I'm not sure, but I don't think your key will work with an SP2 disk.

6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You will need the same type disc as the original. If the original was Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 2002, you will need that same disc. A service pack 2 disc will not work.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.