TechSpot

XP shut down issue

By dbonniwell
Aug 8, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iam currently working on a new build for this 790i mother board.
    Question
    When I go Start>shutdown> and click shutdown, the machine turns off to a certain point then I have to press the power switch to shut down further(It is now safe to shutdown windows) as per instruction of a message.
    How can get this to shut down all the way with out having to hit the power switch to do so.
    i have Win XP Home installed as an OS.
  2. xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx TS Rookie Posts: 1,214

Hmm sounds like the motherboard does not support the feature. What type of mobo is it
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Advanced Power Management needs to be enabled
    Either in "Power" in Control Panel or in CMOS settings

Also some very early Power Supplies did not have this feature

edit:

Are all the Motherboard drivers installed (from the manufactures support page)?
  4. dbonniwell

dbonniwell TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 145

Thanks for your reply
    the mother board is a EVGA 790i Very recent model.
    At Present the mother baord drivers are installed. PSu is a Silverstone 850W Very new. I will check power mangement in control panel and CMOS
  5. dbonniwell

Sorry, I was not able to find anything in XP home that could resolve this issue
  6. kimsland

ACPI or APM in CMOS (hey that's a sentence !)
  7. dbonniwell

ACPI
    I tried enabling it and disableing it and no change.
    Nothing in the control panel power related item to play with.
    I read XP pro has something, but not Home addition
    your thoughts?
  8. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

9. dbonniwell

If you expand computer in device manager , i get "MPS Multiprocessor PC" Latest drivers and Bios P06 installed
  10. CCT

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

What you need to do is try a repair install and when the screen asks for you to press F6 blah blah YOU press F5 then click and scroll through the options to get to 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC' and select that.

The next screen will ask for F6 again - from there you are on your own unless you ask again -

:)
  11. dbonniwell

You wrote
    The next screen will ask for F6 again - from there you are on your own unless you ask again -

Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but once the change is made in F5, I do not need to press F6 to facilitate my changes? Correct?

one more quick question if I may, but is Raid worth the effort for gaming? your opinion?

12. dbonniwell

CCT
    I tried what you said
    I pressed F5 and got two options1)Standard PC with C-Step i486
    2) Other
    Could not see 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC'
    did I do something incorrect?
  13. CCT

That's one of those lame interfaces that doesn't expand and you have to hover the mouse there and scroll.

Did you?

If you did, then it looks like you'll have to re-install and use the F5 option then.
  14. dbonniwell

If I have to reinstall, then I will get the pci.sys BSOD screen and not beable to reinstall? I am not sure
  15. CCT

When the F5 options appear, try keyboard up or down arrows.
  16. dbonniwell

you were correct, I scrolled with the arrow keys. I found what you said and selected it again but
    I got the stop error pci.sys adrress F748EoBF BSOD again and got stopped in my tracks
  17. CCT

OK - that was using Repair - I do believe you need to re-install.
  18. dbonniwell

Question
    Can I hit the correct APCI option after F5 and then shut down and keep the setting?
    Or does the rest have to load and go through the process.
    If I reinstall, then I have the pci.sys stop to contend with and I will go nowhere
  19. CCT

Can I hit the correct APCI option after F5 and then shut down and keep the setting?

No - you must finish the repair/install.

If I reinstall, then I have the pci.sys stop to contend with and I will go nowhere

This usually only occurs if you have a basic XP disk (not SP1 or 2). You never mentioned this to start with so when did this occur?
  20. dbonniwell

my apologlies CCT,
    It did not occur to me till you mentioned the F5 idea. Clearly my neglegents here. thinking back it must of been ACPI that I disabled in Bios to get around the install problems I was having installing XP and then it happen when I tried F5. Obviously there is a catch 22 here and nothing can be done.
  21. CCT

Just set ACPI enabled in Bios and try again.
  22. kimsland

Was it ever re-enabled?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.