XP start up loop

By billword
Mar 2, 2007
  1. I have a compaq nx8220 and today while setting in into its docking station it suddenly turned itself off. When I restarted I now find I'm in a startup loop as follows: the Windows XP screen opens and then flash blue screen (not long enough to read) into HP Invent screen and then black & white with options to restart into a 28 sec loop and it starts again. I've run the bios and HDD check which stops after about 40 secs with the message "read error".

Question is (and I am a real novice here) what do I do ....I've been on to HP support and they tell me it's a hard drive issue and I'll need a new one etc.

Any help here would be appreciated

2. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 186

Are you able to go into Safe Mode? (After an unsuccessful boot, it will ask this.)
  3. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 TS Rookie Posts: 137

I would say its a harddrive error. How old is your comp?
  4. billword

billword TS Rookie Topic Starter

how old is laptop

April 2006. Seems as if it is a hard drive error ...any idea of how I might fix it. I believe it's still under warranty and HP are liekly to ship a new hard drive.

5. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 186

If it's under warranty, just call HP and they'll mail you a new drive and you ship them your old drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.