XP Wireless Network Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techsprog

Hi,

I am setting up a wireless network hopefully using the XP Wireless Setup Wizard. However, when I get to the stage to use the USB Flash drive I do not have a USB port on my Access Point (Netgear DG834G). Anyone know how I get round this or am I missing something.

Cheers

Right, what exactly is the reason for using a flash drive here? I don't see the connection (really not an intended pune there).

isnt it easier to search for the wireless network from the pc/laptop, and just connect?? i dont think there is any need for the usb method.

I don't suppose you could tell me how a flash drive figures in a WLAN setup? It seems supurfluous to me.

altheman seems to know, but he's holding back.

i might be completly wrong 'cos i used a wifi router and not access point, but the easiest method to connect a new pc/laptop is to search for the network, and just connect using the search box in windows.
you might have to temporarily enable SSID broadcast, if MAC address filtering is on, then add the MAC of your new wifi card to the "allowed list."

like i said, i might be completly wrong 'cos i havent used a Access Point, but a wifi router.

@Lekki_Sheep, the win xp wifi wizard lets you put your network info in a flash drive, and then plug it in to each pc/laptop, and configure it to connect. I think thats what Techsprog is trying.

btw, Techsprog, your Netgear device is also a router, so you should be able to just search using the box in Windows, and connect from the list.

Hi, Yes, Altman is right - I was trying to set up using the flash drive so that I could plug it inot my laptop and hopefully set up authmatically as stated in the Wizard. However I will mull over the various replies and give it another shot. Watch this space !

Cheers

Sorry - "ALTHEMAN"

Hi All,

Guess what - I'm connected. Something altheman said rang a bell and I inspected my new laptop and found a little button with an aerial on it. I pressed and, you've guessed, a message came up saying I was connected to the network. Just goes to show that you should read ALL the instruction manual/User guide before going of half ****ed.

Thanks again for you help.

Cheers

Hey, I just have to say. Don't worry about missing the WLAN button. We all miss these things some of the time.

Once, long ago; I bought a new HDD because I'd left a floppy in at bootup and thought my HDD had kicked the bucket. This was after I got a job in IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back