TechSpot

XP won't boot, blue screen

By goodq
Mar 13, 2006
  1. I tried looking for a solution on this online but I couldn't find anything relevant. I don't know what caused this. I didn't change anything on my machine, neither in hardware nor software. The machine is a S360 Sony Vaio laptop.
    Suddenly the machine stops working, everything gets really slow and then I force shutdown the machine. Then every time I try to boot a blue screen flashes on the screen and the machine reboots.
    I learn later that this is a "feature" in windows called “automatically reboot the box”. I don't know how to turn this “feature” off if I can't boot the machine.
    I tried windows recovery and ran chkdsk and it comes out with unrecoverable data or something after getting to 50% of the drive.
    I got a Knoppix live CD and the drive seems to be fine. I can access stuff and run videos from it. Since fsck doesn't have an NTFS extension I can't do disk recovery from Knoppix as you all probably know.
    I'm sorry that I don't have an error code, is someone can tell me how to actually capture the error code that would be a great leap forward.
    Thanks for all the help.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.