TechSpot

Xphe stop error 0x000000ED - unique position

By ddp-771012
Jul 24, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm an old school PC user switched to Mac 8 years ago and not familiar with XP troubleshooting. I am sort of lost here and really need some feedback. Here is what happened:

I'm using a Dell Latitude laptop with XPhe. Its basically used as a typewriter. The really bad thing is that there is no network connection or floppy or CD drive on the machine. The only hardware i use with the computer is my ScanDisk thumb drive.

Was working on a very important file last night. This morning I go to start work again and get Blue Screen of Death. Error code is 0x000000ED (0x80DFBE30, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Said "Unmountable_Boot_Volume." tried safe mode but didn't work.

I was hoping i could change the boot sequence to this thumb drive and do either a reinstall or system restore. However, i can't access the BIOS. I realize i may be a ***** but i would appreciate any suggestions. All i care about is that one file. I am currently reading up on the issue so as not to be clueless when/if anyone responds. Thanks!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

You can connect the removed laptop harddrive to a Desktop computer as slave using an adaptor:
    [​IMG]
  3. ddp-771012

ddp-771012 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I didn't think a Windows formatted hard drive would work with a mac. Is this not the case?

Any suggestions for getting the laptop working after retrieving the file. I assume i could just scandisk and reinstall xp while it is a slave?

thanks kimsland, i'll see if this works.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

The new Macs should read it (actually I don't really know)
    But you'll need to purchase the adaptor either way.

As for getting it to work, run a Check Disk on it from another computer (when it's connected via the adaptor , ideally a Windows Desktop)

Also is it an Xpi or an Xp, I think Xpi had a CD drive, I've got the Master bios password for that too: r6aszrxx
    Unrelated I know, but I might not get another chance !
  5. ddp-771012

ddp-771012 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried doing this on the mac but it didn't recognize the drive. anyone have any suggestions?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.