TechSpot

y are all the good vid cards agp!

By ripken204
Feb 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. what is wrong with all of these new video cards, there agp, y cant ati and nvidia use the new pci-express?

the ati x800 and x850 and the nvidia 9800 are agp!
    what good cards can i get if i have pci-express?
  2. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

As far as I know, all the new top of the line cards have been pretty much released first in PCI-E, or at least at the same time. You can look here , and find all the cards you mentioned, I think. And the 9800 is an ATi card, I presume you meant the nVidiia 6800?

Edit: The link I provided won't take you to the page I wanted. But you can do a search for PCI-E cards, $400 plus and you will find the cards you mentioned.
  3. ripken204

ripken204 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 315

ya sry, i meant the 6800

also for the 6800, it is 64 bit, does that mean i need a 64 bit processor?
  4. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

No you don't need a 64 bit processor. You must be looking at the lower end cards. Most all of the top end cards are 256 bit. I've got a BFG 6800 GT OC, 256 bit, AGP, great card.

Edit: As far as I can see, all 6800 series cards are 256 bits, even the 128 mb cards. But maybe I missed one somewhere, but certainly not 64 bits.
  5. ripken204

6. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

Nope, nothing to do with your CPU. Just means it uses higher precision for performing those operations.
  7. ripken204

i also wanted the ati x800xt aiw but its only agp, unless sum1 can find a pci-e?
  8. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Where are you looking?

Found these at newegg
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.