Yahoo acquires news-summarizing app Summly for $30 million

By Jos
Mar 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Continuing with the pursuit to revamp its digital news and media business, Yahoo has announced that it will be acquiring Summly, a startup that aims at summarizing web content into a digestible format more fit for mobile devices. Financial terms...

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 671   +202

FINALLY, Yahoo actually makes a sensible move!! I've been saying for at least seven years that Yahoo needs to start pushing all of its many divisions in a big way, with news and e-periodicals being headliners. Who even hears about Yahoo Music anymore? You'd never even know it existed but its been around forever. Yahoo needs to forget social - its ran its course and really never delivered on its marketing potential. Yahoo needs to be about connecting people to what their really looking for, but in the context the *user* likes best. They could pull a total end-run around the abysmal cesspits of FB, Twitter and all the rest. An awful lot of folks still use Yahoo Mail. How about putting the ol' Yahoo quick links bar on top of the client? And while their at it they could buck the trend of ugly flat design that the industry is following blindly. Most people find it unattractive and a waste of screen real estate (not to mention non-intuitive compared to clearly labeled and recognizable iconography). Yahoo should stop following the leader and blaze a path that many of us would happily follow: a path of personal choice, easy access to a full suite of online services and attractive, highly usable design. They need to pay whatever they must to get the best outside-the-box programmers to build Yahoo a world class search engine. Are you listening, Ms. Myer? You've made some good calls recently, like eliminating the unproductive work-from-home paradigm. Go all the way and leverage Yahoo's brand power and broad catalog of services into what it should be. Show Google to be the one-trick pony that it is: all they have is search (well, that and a massive campaign of privacy invasion). Yahoo Mail is head and shoulders above Gmail and always has been, even with the less-than-optimal front-end its currently using. Right now the entire consumer tech sector is in flux. The time for bold moves that really bring people back to Yahoo is now.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

I hate to see huge companies buying out great start ups, but heck 30 million to a 17 year old. He is set for life haha. I love that app.
  4. Larysa

Larysa Newcomer, in training

Why would they close the app? Sounds like a very bizarre move to me... They will now lose the momentum saying nothing like free marketing they receive... It is like Instagram would close on FB acquisition. That would kill the app actually...

A propos, it was difficult to find anything on Nick, here is the best resource so far: many . at / nickdaloisio
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +82

This does seem like a pretty clever app. Lucky young man as well to have had the thought and the talent to execute it.
  6. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

What an early coming-of-age treat for Nick D'Aloisio. Kids... :)
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

I read an article by Reuters today, he wants to invest the money. Good decisions.
  8. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

Smart move indeed. The last thing he'll need is to be a philanthropist.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.