Yahoo address book was Hijacked -- Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acemoose

An email with my name and nothing in the subject line was sent to all the addressees. Everyone got a link to a Canadian medical web site -- the ones with great Virus protection got warnings.

I ran Mcafee -- it didn;t catch anything-- neither did my Ad Aware, Spy Bot or Hijack This programs.
Why didn't these programs catch anything?
And what can i do to remove this hijacking program ???

I opened up a Gmail account and imported all my Yahoo addresses there.

I Deleted ALL my Yahoo addresses from my Yahoo Address book and am still using my Yahoo Account.

Did you actually check ALL of the addressees? What most likely happened was that someone else got a mass mailing Worm and they had you in their address book. The Worm then sent out email to everyone in their address book!

That why your security programs didn't find anything!

Interesting

Thanks for the info.

Actually I discovered I have the Conficker Worm-- my AdAware program found it-- whether it was in the email I rec'd (I was in my address book too) or got on my puter by some other way, this only adds to the mess.

I downloaded a Microsoft malware Removal tool, and will run it tonite, since my ESET Virus Scan doesn't seem to be deleting the worm.

Since there were never any logs left for us to check, there was nothing we could do. So maybe you were just making a statement instead of asking a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back