TechSpot

Yahoo reportedly offers up to $800 million to acquire Hulu

By Dave LeClair
May 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Yahoo seems to have some surprisingly deep pockets ready for making acquisitions, as the company reportedly offered anywhere from $600 to $800 million to purchase online streaming platform Hulu. The report comes from All Things D, after revealing Yahoo's intentions...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

30 million for Sumly, 1 billion for Tumblr, then this? Yahoo is really on a spending streak. They are gonna ruin tumblr by flooding it with Ads, they will do the same with poor Hulu.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,183   +765

This Marissa chick seems like a real go-getter but why would I use Yahoo now that I've got used to using Google? Maybe they'll make a case for themselves one day. These OTT sites such as Hulu are really not my thing.

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I think $800 Million for Hulu sounds awfully low. Is Hulu unable to turn a profit while Sumly and Tumbler were?

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

Keep in mind Hulu is not a global service, which might play into its lower value.

6. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 197   +27

How is it that Yahoo still has such deep pockets...

Google and Apple must have a secret island where they stash all their cash. Or an island made out of cash...

But as long as they don't change the subscription model and add in more content. Sure.

7. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Hulu is worth more than tumblr! I hope Yahoo doesn't buy Hulu... dislike yahoo.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

It's called the Cayman Islands.

9. Duckula22

Duckula22 TS Rookie Posts: 55

This video is not available in your location. 'nuff said.

10. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

You mean, erm, Ireland... ;)

11. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

At least Yahoo! might get Hulu of its arse and make it available worldwide.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.