yet another display problem - PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moridin

large problem with display - PLEASE HELP!!

yes, another sad person with a display problem, only mine is different. I have read through the forum just to see if theres anything like this and ther isnt. so here we go, if anybody could help, it would be great as this is really pissing me off - heres the problem

part 1. a few months back, u re-built a computer with some old parts. it worked briefly, enough to tell me i hadn't plugged in the hdd (whoops). so i turned it off, plugged the hdd in and.... no, no viola, it made all the appropriate noises, fans, hdd going, cd drive opens closes, tries to read but... you guessed it, no picture. nothing at all. the computer isnt even sending a signal to the monitor to tell it to turn on. (light stays orange) so after a long while, trying everything i could think of, i gave up.

part 2. i recently aquired a compaq (an old one note; maybe 4-5 yrs) worked fine when i booted it up the first few times. then i decided to add another hdd as the one with it was a whole 6gb. i just happened to use the same ide cable that i used in the first computer. i plugged both hdds in, pressed the button.. and... the exact same thing happened as with the first computer.

this has me totally stumped. i suppose the problem started with the cable or something... but whats wrong? anything, any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated...

yea, i did have the jumpers set right, but ive put everything back the way it was when i got it (1 hdd, original ide cable). still no good.

im reading that tut, but it doesnt look like it'll help much...

I had a similar problem, but, it would stuff up at the windows reboot, all was needed was a reinstall for my video card. Do you have the drivers that came with the PC's install correctly, migh not help, but worth a shot.
cheers
hynesy

yeah, i thought about that, but i dont think its the problem, as absolutely nothing happens, and the graphics 4 the second computer are onboard.... ill give it a try tomorrow. but i dont reckon itll help

Well its a good starting point to find out the problem so give it a shot.. its tedster's first post that has most of the instructions btw :)

To add to that list, or you can try this first, is to reseat the ram(s) and the video card as well as double checking over all the power cables and data cables connected properly while your at it.. or any other peices you might have bumped puting in those HDDs.. those are the most common things i've noticed when the video disapears.. (its all in the tutorial)

the main question is, do you get any beeps at all?

nope, no post at all. so im going to take it all apart this arvo when i get a chance, and put it back together slowly...

nope, still nothing. no post no matter what i do. no nothing. except a red led wen i take out the cpu and try and boot. any other ideas out there?

I didn't install the display driver for my on board video even tho I had a video card, but when ever I went to anything video, either on the internet or offline, my computer would go into a freeze so bad, i had to reset manually, so i still suggest making sure your drivers are done right. Computers are notoriously random with stuff that happens to them.
cheers
hynesy :wave:

hynesy said:
I didn't install the display driver for my on board video even tho I had a video card, but when ever I went to anything video, either on the internet or offline, my computer would go into a freeze so bad, i had to reset manually, so i still suggest making sure your drivers are done right. Computers are notoriously random with stuff that happens to them.
cheers
hynesy :wave:

yeah, i cant see how that would be the problem, and i dont know how id go abt reinstallin the drivers. i dont get any display. ever.

i cant find any mobo shorts..... so im really outta ideas.

Can you check your mobo manual to see what the red light means?

Take that mobo out and put it ontop of a non-conductive surface, like an anti static bag or a cardboard box. Connect everything essential to it but at minimal setup (mobo, CPU, power, RAM). Now see if it boots. If it doesn't boot or give sign of life, then at least you've narrowed it down to CPU/Mobo/Power.

Alternatively, you can also test each individual components on another PC you know works, and rule out your faulty hardware from there. Start with the graphics card, and boot to windows safe mode if the testing rig is running a nVidia card. Then PSU, RAM, Motherboard (if compatible), CPU (if compatible) etc.

i dont have the manual, so i cant do that. i rekon the red light just means that it recognizes that thers no cpu. (that was when it came on)

ill try the rest in a bit..

i doubt that will work (booting with just hd in) because almost no possible combination of parts gives me any different response. ill give it a crack tho, thats how desperate im getting. i think its the psu tho, or the mb or cpu. unfortunately i cant tes tthose things at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back