Yet another female executive is departing Reddit

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Reddit has lost its fourth female executive in less than a month as the company’s head of community, Jessica Moreno, has called it quits.

Moreno and husband Dan McComas joined Reddit in 2011 when the self-proclaimed front page of the Internet purchased their gift-exchange program, Reddit Gifts.

Both Moreno and Reddit confirmed the news to Re/code, saying she planned to return to Salt Lake City to spend time with her family. Moreno added that the decision to leave was difficult, especially considering the fact that Reddit is “taking difficult steps in a much needed positive direction.”

It’s unclear who will fill her shoes although Moreno said she was working with newly reappointed CEO Steve Huffman on a transition plan.

The departure comes just two weeks after chief engineer Bethanye Blount walked away, saying she had lost confidence in the company’s new direction. Most, however, point to the sudden firing of beloved community manager Victoria Taylor as the starting point for the recent turmoil.

Things were already on edge over Reddit’s decision to ban five controversial community forums last month but when news got out about Taylor’s dismissal, several of the site’s unpaid (volunteer) moderators set their subreddits to private in protest, effectively locking visitors out.

That ultimately led to the resignation of embattled CEO Ellen Pao, a controversial figure in her own right following a high-profile gender discrimination lawsuit against former employer Kleiner Perkins. Pao ultimately lost the case.

Bethanye Blount image courtesy O'Reilly Conferences

Permalink to story.

I respect her decision and admire the strength it must take to walk away from a company as prestigious as Reddit. It is sad to see the tech industry lose yet another female executive.

I respect her decision and admire the strength it must take to walk away from a company as prestigious as Reddit. It is sad to see the tech industry lose yet another female executive.

Hopefully the industry doesn't lose her... only Reddit. Tech execs seem to have very transferable skills.

Why is her gender relevant? Why must you genderbait? Except to get clicks?

Something important to remember: everyone hates trolls. You know, people who say things specifically to get a reaction. And usually, they do it for free.

So how should I feel about someone who is getting paid to get reactions and clicks?

Why is her gender relevant? Why must you genderbait?
Not necessarily a correct conclusion. Having worked in Tech for > 37 years and for several female execs and with female techies, the industry really does make an attempt to be neutral. Why then is it news at all? IMO, Only in the sense that the ranks grow slowly and 'pruning' does not bode well for 'equality'. Tech equality really is about results.

I fear this will explode into a diatribe of gender bias, but it really should not. Equal pay for equal work has never / has yet to occur, which is extremely sad. Write the Board of Directors and ask them to justify why?

Better yet, write the State Board of Labor.

Jeff

"I fear this will explode into a diatribe of gender bias, but it really should not. Equal pay for equal work has never / has yet to occur, which is extremely sad."

You're wrong,
"The 1980 Act on Equality between Men and Women/Equal Opportunities Act, as amended since. The Equal Pay Act 1970, as amended by Equal Value Regulations of 1983, and the Sex Discrimination Act of 1975 and 1986, superseded by the Equality Act 2010."

Since 1980, women have always earned the same as men for the same work (in the US, anyways). Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Otherwise, people would only hire women, because they would save 33% in labor costs.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a...-to-choice-not-discrimination/article/2563010

http://now.org/resource/the-gender-pay-gap-myth-vs-fact/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303532704579483752909957472

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...iggest-myth-about-the-gender-wage-gap/276367/

Please read up before posting misinformation.

Hopefully the industry doesn't lose her... only Reddit. Tech execs seem to have very transferable skills.

Given her reason for departure, I'd be willing to wager she'll be out of the game for a while. Family is the biggest reason women drop out of the workforce, and they generally don't come back for some time.

The gender politics should be fun, though.

"I fear this will explode into a diatribe of gender bias, but it really should not. Equal pay for equal work has never / has yet to occur, which is extremely sad."

You're wrong,
"The 1980 Act on Equality between Men and Women/Equal Opportunities Act, as amended since. The Equal Pay Act 1970, as amended by Equal Value Regulations of 1983, and the Sex Discrimination Act of 1975 and 1986, superseded by the Equality Act 2010."
YEP, that's the law. What occurs in the work place is sadly quite a different thing.

You're wrong,
YEP, that's the law. What occurs in the work place is sadly quite a different thing.

Proof? Real Proof ?

I just reported what I have personally seen and experienced over 37years.
Take it for what it's worth.

Why is her gender relevant? Why must you genderbait? Except to get clicks?
Well, it certainly got yours, how didn't it.

Something important to remember: everyone hates trolls. You know, people who say things specifically to get a reaction. And usually, they do it for free.
And the rest of us come here to listen to some troll whimpering about his moral outrage. Let the good times roll, ey?

So how should I feel about someone who is getting paid to get reactions and clicks?
Good point but, who died and left you in charge with a zero post count?

If something upsets you this much in the future, be the better troll, don't bother to click on it.

I just reported what I have personally seen and experienced over 37years.
Take it for what it's worth.
Are you suggesting that women never manipulate to make it appear they're victims of discrimination? Because if you are, it means the entire gender is on higher moral ground than the men in the workplace.........Right...!

Equal pay for equal work is something that's fairly easy to manipulate outside the tech sector.

For example, a woman wants to be a worker on a road crew, So, she get's to wave the flag all day because she's a girl, for the same money as the guy who runs the jack hammer all day.

Then you can cascade minority butt hurt credits in your favor. For example, I was told flat out by a psychiatrist, "you'll never win an argument against person, "xxx". She's a triple minority, a woman, an African American, and a lesbian". Take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Reddit has lost its fourth female executive in less than a month as the company’s head of community, Jessica Moreno, has called it quits.

Moreno and husband Dan McComas joined Reddit in 2011 when the self-proclaimed front page of the Internet purchased their gift-exchange program, Reddit Gifts.

Both Moreno and Reddit confirmed the news to Re/code, saying she planned to return to Salt Lake City to spend time with her family. Moreno added that the decision to leave was difficult, especially considering the fact that Reddit is “taking difficult steps in a much needed positive direction.”

It’s unclear who will fill her shoes although Moreno said she was working with newly reappointed CEO Steve Huffman on a transition plan.

The departure comes just two weeks after chief engineer Bethanye Blount walked away, saying she had lost confidence in the company’s new direction. Most, however, point to the sudden firing of beloved community manager Victoria Taylor as the starting point for the recent turmoil.

Things were already on edge over Reddit’s decision to ban five controversial community forums last month but when news got out about Taylor’s dismissal, several of the site’s unpaid (volunteer) moderators set their subreddits to private in protest, effectively locking visitors out.

That ultimately led to the resignation of embattled CEO Ellen Pao, a controversial figure in her own right following a high-profile gender discrimination lawsuit against former employer Kleiner Perkins. Pao ultimately lost the case.

Bethanye Blount image courtesy O'Reilly Conferences

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're wrong,

Since 1980, women have always earned the same as men for the same work (in the US, anyways). Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Otherwise, people would only hire women, because they would save 33% in labor costs.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/a...-to-choice-not-discrimination/article/2563010

http://now.org/resource/the-gender-pay-gap-myth-vs-fact/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303532704579483752909957472

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...iggest-myth-about-the-gender-wage-gap/276367/

Please read up before posting misinformation.
O.... k.... now back to the real world...

You're wrong,

Proof? Real Proof ?
LOL work in the real world pal. How about you ASK a successful female in IT, engineering, private industry how hard it is rather that blindly believe some rubbish statistics and some BS laws. It's not for me to tell you or go about investigating this for you. It costs women careers to pursue this line. You want to know why there isn't much "PROOF"? It's because it is far easier to live under the status quo than to take on those in positions of power. And you then sit smugly under your little rock thinking everything is fine and dandy in the world. Congratulations champ.

Unfortunately the whole issue is awash in misinformation and outright fabrication...the biggest issue being everyone makes different choices and it's never apples to apples. For example...provide a single example of a guy and girl going to the same college, getting the same grades, the same degree, and having the exact same work history...good luck. The point is everyone regardless of gender has a different life experience...life should be about equal opportunity, not equal outcomes.

Back