Yet another...NON-BOOT (a la burnt ram)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all,

I will run things through from start to finish, so you can actually answer my question, which is : WHY wont my computer boot, and why did it burn up my ram???

Building from scratch::
450w PSU
ASUS P5K-SE mobo
E4400 Core 2 duo w/fan combo
2 x 1g Kingston DDR 667 non-ECC unbuffered ram
ASUS GeForce7600GT Silent
WD Caviar 120g SATA HDD
2x CD IDE
1x Floppy

HOW IT WENT DOWN:

Placed mobo into the case (did not ensure it was properly grounded at the time, have since fixed), installed the drives, HD an video card, as well as the RAM to the specified slots (A1 + B1). Connected the case wires, and power supply to all of the components.

Test #1: Tried starting the computer, and it would turn on to a blank screen (no bios beeping) and would just idle there.

Test #2: Took all connections apart, reconnected (step by step) , reset the CRAM/CROM(watever) as per manual, and the fan would start, but only for half a second before shut off.

Test #3: Took board out of case, and started it up (no bios beeps) and noticed a smell...turned off the comp. My Ram got burned.

EDIT: Test #4 Took ram out, started up, and it shuts down after a few seconds, and then starts up (still no bios or beeps)

WHAT the hell could this be????????????

your help is MUCH appreciated.

poot

1. was the board unplugged when you were working on it?
2. were you grounded when working on it?
3. was the ram seated correctly?
4. Was the PSU reliable? Did you test it with a testing tool AND a multimeter?

1. yes, while hooking things up
2. not sure originally, but when i took it out, and then back in, yes.
3. yes (110%)
4. No, but it is brand new, and came with the case

could just be bad ram or a bad mobo.

I'd say throw another stick in there and see what happens, but you risk burning another stick. If everything is mounted and seated properly, it's one of those two things. Could also be your PS, but it's unlikely it would only damage the ram. check your mobo for any bloated-looking (bulging) capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back