Yet Another Page Fault in Non Paged Area Error!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehan

Hi,

I've read quite a few posts on this forum of people having the same problem but haven't really found a solution for whats going on with me so I figured I'd try posting.

I was having a lot of page faults in non paged area error messages for the last week or so on this brand new built system and read somewhere that Norton Antivirus might be the culprit. I was running an older version of the corporate edition and uninstalled it.

I also ran memtest (which ran without any errors for over 4 hours) and also ran two instances of prime95 with each using 850 megabytes of ram. I have done this twice and both times the prime95 instances max out the dual core cpus at 100% and the computer works fine for around 12 hours.

Both times at around the 12 hour mark of torture testing, the computer restarts with the page fault error in non paged area. I have a 400 Watt antec power supply and temperatures remain constant throughout the test with my CPU not going over 62-64 degrees celsius.

I can't seem to go longer than 12 hours without having it mess up and I don't know what could be causing it.

I have already swapped out both sticks of 1 GB ram that I have with new ones and the errors continue. Someone at a local computer store here told me that it has to do with my hard drive and the partitions (of which I have 3 on my 250 gb sata drive) rather than the RAM and that if I re-installed winXP and did something to the partitions I would get the error fixed. I'm hesitant to go down that road though because I'd prefer not having to reinstall windows and lose the config I have setup for my computer currently.

I'm running WinXP Pro w/ SP2 and all the updates. I uninstalled Norton AV and instead installed McAfee Enterprise edition. The lockups continue.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I'm leaving any vital details out but if you could respond I will include them as soon as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post---I really appreciate it!

Someone at a local computer store here told me that it has to do with my hard drive and the partitions (of which I have 3 on my 250 gb sata drive)
Rubbish! Ignore him.
If you are running P95 for 12 hrs what's the problem?
Do you plan on eating and living at the computer? Ok enough sarcasm, because it's hard to type that that's really a friendly nudge nudge wink wink, "seems like it's ok to me" comment.

But seriously running p95 for 12 hrs shows a pretty stable system. And your temps at 64C is NOT anything to just ignore. This can't be an Athlon 64 or it would have shut way down, but even a P4 can only go to 70C tops! So you reached your limit on heat with the P95 torture test, congrats, 12hrs is pretty good. This is the heat on the CPU you CAN measure, what temp do you think the RAM is at? Yes at it limit too.

I guess my point is overheating is causing your BSOD, and if you correct that you could prob run P95 for 3 days if you like.

Cheers.

Thank you for your reply!

The thing is, my CPU, the Pentium D 920 idles at around 54-56 degrees celsius and from what I've read on different forums, this isn't really abnormal for it.

Even when p95 was going for 12 hours, I believe the temperature was only about 61-62 tops...so I'm not sure if its overheating or random restarts due to something else as it has restarted when I've been doing very little on my computer or nothing at all as well.

Could someone please analyze my minidump files? I've included 4 dumps zipped up but must admit I don't know how to read them at all.

For argument's sake, if these are random restarts rather than due to overheating, what can I do? I'm not really sure if heat is the factor.

Thank you again---this forum is way too kind!

My System:
Intel 920 D 2.8 GHz
Intel D945GNT
2GB Kingston Value Ram DDR2 533 MHz
Inno3D GeForce 7900GT 256 MB
Built-In Sound
WD2500KS SATA-2 250 GB
WD1200JB IDE 120 GB
Thermaltake Xaser Case

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

1 minidump crashes at NTIDrvr.sys. This is part of the NTI CD and DVD maker. It has a bugcheck of 50.

Try uninstalling the application. If your system then becomes stable, reinstall the application and see what happens.

2 minidumps crash at win32k.sys. This is the Windows Multi-User Win32 Driver. They have a bugcheck of 50.

1 minidump crashes with pool_corruption. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

What is NTI CD & DVD Maker application?

I have Nero Platinum 7 installed..is that what you are referring to?

I have never been trying to burn a CD/DVD when these crashes took place.

I have attached 3 more minidumps, which are older than the previous ones I showed you.

Thank you for your quick replies!

Attachments

• Minidumps2.zip
    90.5 KB · Views: 9
See HERE for info on the NTIDrvr.sys file.

2 minidumps crash at win32k.sys. They have bugchecks of 8E and 50.

1 minidump crashes at nv4_disp.dll. This is part of your Nvidia graphics card drivers. It has a bugcheck of 8E.

Go and follow the instructions in the link I gave you.

Regards Howard :)

My 920 D is running at 54-55 degrees Celsius on idle and 61-63 degrees celsius on a full load.

Is this too hot? I can't seem to find any normal temperatures for the Intel 920 D 2.8 GHz off of Google.

Just ran MemTest for 9 hours without any errors. Did 15 successful passes. Prime95 buckles out at about 12 hours...

I've removed the NTIDrvr.sys file (since I had uninstalled the Intel Desktop Board Utilities program a long time ago and no longer need that file)

and I've followed the instructions in the link that you gave me Howard. Everything is coming out inconclusive...chkdsk even reports everything is fine.

Maybe its my temperature? I've swapped the ram, my power supply is giving stable voltages, and my hard drive doesn't seem to give any problems. Maybe one important thing is that when I had my CPU installed, there was no 3rd party thermal paste added on. Simply the heat compound that is on the bottom of the stock heatsink was used. The heatsink was just placed over the chip.

Is 3rd party stuff required? Did I make a huge mistake?

Thank you everyone for helping me out!

If you suspect an overheating problem with your cpu, do the following.

Shut down your computer and unplug it from the mains.

Open your case and carefully disconnect the cpu fan, then take off the heatsink. Clean the old thermal pad/paste off the heatsink and cpu die, using a little isopropyl/rubbing alcohol. Apply some new themal paste to the cpu die and reattach the heatsink and reconnect the cpu fan.

Reconnect your computer to the mains and boot it up.

Instructions for applying themal paste can be found HERE.

See if that helps.

Ok so I reformatted and re-installed WinXP Pro w/ SP2 on my computer and all the updates.

Its been running 3 days fine without an error except today it restarted and I got the page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error.

In the event manager I saw this error message at the time it crashed.

Can someone please tell me if this has any relevance?

Here's the screenshot of my error message:
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/3870/untitled17il.jpg

Also this was found in the event manager on reboot:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xffffffe8, 0x00000001, 0x80525788, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042806-01.dmp.

What do 0xffffffe8, 0x00000001, 0x80525788, 0x00000000 specifically reference? Could anyone please take the time to let me know? I would REALLY appreciate it.

THANK YOU!

Your minidump crashes at HPZid412.sys. This is part of your hP printer drivers. It also references HPZipm12.exe as the owning process. This is the HP Taks bar utility.

Take a look HERE for a possible solution.

I said at the beginning I though your temps were a little high and when it crashes P95 at 64C this was not to be ignored. I'm still sticking to that opinion.
Did you do what Howard suggested a few posts back about the thermal paste?
Do you have the temp issue corrected? Your idle temps should be in the order of 35-40C. When you get that under control and you still crash, then your minidumps will have more meaning.

Right now the minidumps are just displaying whatever process it was working on when it crashed from overtemp. (IMO)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back