You can finally order a $35,000 Tesla Model 3

Polycount

Staff

Tesla has been planning to launch a $35,000 version of their mid-range Model 3 sedan for years now, but it has always been unable to deliver on its promises - manufacturing issues and PR disasters are probably some of the main reasons for that.

However, things are finally changing today. Tesla is officially selling a $35,000 Model 3 on its website. However, with a cheaper price comes cheaper materials, and a couple other drawbacks.

For starters, you'll be charged extra for selecting any color other than Solid Black when you order your Model 3. Red Multi-Coat will run you $2,500, for example.

Furthermore, Tesla's new Model 3 has "standard maps and navigation," downgraded cloth seats and trim, "basic audio," and no heated seats. For better or worse, it's not possible to upgrade any of these features for an extra fee.

In terms of performance, the cheaper Model 3 will boast 220 miles of range on a single charge, and a 0-60 speed of 5.6 seconds. That's still fairly impressive for a lower-end sedan.

Though Tesla has lost its full $7,500 EV tax incentive, buying the car now will still net you $3,750 in tax credits; effectively reducing its price to around $31,250. If you live in a location with statewide EV tax incentives -- such as California -- you may be able to save an extra $2,500.

If you place an order for Tesla's $35,000 Model 3 now, it should arrive in 2-4 weeks, which would be sometime in March or April.

Permalink to story.

@Polycount said "For starters, you'll be charged extra for selecting any color other than Solid Black when you order your Model 3. Red Multi-Coat will run you $2,500, for example."

I'm thinking this sets automotive finishing technology back about 100 years, when Henry Ford said, "you can have a Model T in any color you want as long as it's black.

Actually the story is quite a bit deeper than that. I've done the research, but I type slow, so have at it.

Just disappointing .... low mileage, lower standard interior, he's running himself right out of business. Let's hope that personal trip to Mars he is talking about happens sooner rather than later ......

Just disappointing .... low mileage, lower standard interior, he's running himself right out of business. Let's hope that personal trip to Mars he is talking about happens sooner rather than later ......

Low mileage? 220miles is better than the leaf (150miles) and slightly less than a bolt (240miles)... and the Model 3 is bigger than either of those.

It does make sense to limit the interior upgrades for these ones since you can leverage a much more simple production line where everything is very similar... faster/easier/cheaper to manufacture. Looks like they increase the color options from $1500 to $2500 comparing to the medium range and extended range.

To be fair, black being cheapest is totally cool with me. If they had Pink or Purple as cheapest then I would have serious issues with them.

Approximately £26,436.38. That's actually a pretty decent price for a Saloon (assuming Sedan is the american version of a Saloon) vehicle. My Skoda Superb was roughly the same price

They should at least offer black white and 2-3 colours. Is it so costly?
Get with it, they don't actually want to sell you a $35,000 car. But they will, if you insist.

Tesla's business tactics are atrocious. The idea of putting the same battery in the same car, then locking the range via software until you cough up another $8,000 or so, is a bad as robbing you by sticking a gun in your face,.

I mean, everybody and their mother raised an enormous stink about Apple slowing down its older phones. WTF, do you think locking out battery capacity with software amounts to?

If you didn't say, "the same damned thing", you're quite mistaken.

Last edited:
Why is every Tesla interior so boring and empty? I can get a better looking interior in a Yugo. As for the materials, I don't really nitpick on those unless the car is expensive.

Low mileage? 220miles is better than the leaf (150miles) and slightly less than a bolt (240miles)... and the Model 3 is bigger than either of those.

It does make sense to limit the interior upgrades for these ones since you can leverage a much more simple production line where everything is very similar... faster/easier/cheaper to manufacture. Looks like they increase the color options from $1500 to $2500 comparing to the medium range and extended range.
The new and improved Nissan Leaf will have an improved 226-mile driving range.

The new and improved Nissan Leaf will have an improved 226-mile driving range.

The model 3 has a max range of 325 if you configure it for it, and it's not a pricey upgrade either.

Why is every Tesla interior so boring and empty? I can get a better looking interior in a Yugo. As for the materials, I don't really nitpick on those unless the car is expensive.
I mean, you get rid of a massive engine and there is just a lot of room...

I mean, you get rid of a massive engine and there is just a lot of room...
And then you get to try and make up for it with those ridiculous gull wing doors.

Either that, or make them all hatchbacks. Hatchbacks are intended to be empty and boring, just like their helicopter parent owners...

Back