You can now test DirectX 12 yourself with latest 3DMark update

Scorpus

Staff member

directx 3dmark microsoft futuremark update mantle directx 12

The impending launch of DirectX 12 is one of the more exciting things to happen in PC gaming in recent years. Many people are eager to see how the low level API will improve the performance of games that implement it, especially on systems with powerful CPUs and GPUs.

Futuremark is ready to give gamers a taste of what DirectX 12 will bring, launching their new API Overhead Feature Test through an update to 3DMark for Windows. The new test allows gamers to see the difference in maximum draw calls per second when scenes are rendered using DirectX 12, DirectX 11 or Mantle.

directx 3dmark microsoft futuremark update mantle directx 12

PC Perspective have already run the benchmark and reported seeing a significant increase in draw calls per second when moving from mutli-threaded DirectX 11 to DirectX 12. Microsoft's new API delivered anywhere from five to 19 times the performance, depending on the hardware configuration, in a best-case scenario.

Interestingly, while performance scaled relatively well going from one to six CPU cores, there were no appreciable gains moving to eight cores. Of course, GPU drivers that support DirectX 12 are still in the early stages of development, and the gains 3DMark is showing for DirectX 12 won't necessarily translate to actual games.

If you want to try out the API Overhead Feature Test in the latest version of 3DMark, ensure that you're running Windows 10 build 10041 or later, and have supported hardware with the latest drivers. Then go and grab either the Advanced or Professional Editions of 3DMark and get testing.

Permalink to story.

This is way windows is doomed. DirectX 12 should be available for win 7-10, but MS is so greedy, they cant seem to understand why they are disliked and windows will evientaly be destroyed by Google. Just look at there market share. I betting big on SteamOS, and once it takes off, I will take the jump. Windows is now to bloated, and with greed, I hope all backers back Vulkan. DX12 on Win 10 only has officially broke the camel back.

This is way windows is doomed. DirectX 12 should be available for win 7-10, but MS is so greedy, they cant seem to understand why they are disliked and windows will evientaly be destroyed by Google. Just look at there market share. I betting big on SteamOS, and once it takes off, I will take the jump. Windows is now to bloated, and with greed, I hope all backers back Vulkan. DX12 on Win 10 only has officially broke the camel back.

Microsoft being greedy.. hmm, maybe. But, Win10 is going to be offered for *free* though. That doesn't display much greed with that choice. Might be the best choice MS has done in ages.. Curious to see where they draw your $$$ in though.. o.O

Microsoft being greedy.. hmm, maybe. But, Win10 is going to be offered for *free* though. That doesn't display much greed with that choice. Might be the best choice MS has done in ages.. Curious to see where they draw your $$$ in though.. o.O

Just to clarify this *free* thing.. It's free for current Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade within the first year. It's said MS is even going after people using hacked, err, non-legitimate copies of Windows and offering the same deal to them.

Thank you.. I stand corrected! That is pretty good to hear tho. Upon first reading about MS giving people who use illegitimate copies of Windows, a free copy of Win10, I was kinda confused.. Why would they do that? But as with every version of Windows in the past, it'll be hacked/cracked almost as soon as it's released.. maybe before it's released. lol

This is way windows is doomed. DirectX 12 should be available for win 7-10
Yes, fellow guest, that is absurd! It's not like they are offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade, is it?
Also, blindly complaining about every tech company every chance they get, specially one that is making an effort to listen to user feedback and correct previous mistakes by offering a free upgrade, makes people sound so totally cool! Congratulations on your great internet skillz.

MS greedy lol, then you better look at every other manufacturer like Apple, Samsung, Sony and Google etc... All are greedy to some extent and all try n make money which is the purpose of any company.

MS decisions while not always great, isn't trying to screw anyone over just tryin to offer a product n make monry on it. Just like most companies.

To clarify, windows 10 will be free for the first year for anyone running windows 7 with sp1 and windows 8.1 update s14 aka 8.1 update. If you do not have win 7 sp1 or win 8 .1 update you will NOT get the update free. Same goes for xp or vista users. Also only win 7 sp1 and win 8.1 update will let you update through windows update. All others OSes have to use the iso ms will provide.

MS will allow pirated versions of windows to upgrade (iso only) to win 10 but it will still be pirated not a genuine copy. Also MS may charge for some features if you use a pirated copied.

Win 10 is to be released this summer, june/july.

Why are they being greedy, because they want to try and get their user base on their latest operating system and not something that is 6 or 7 years old. They wont be destroyed at all by google what utter nonsense. AND wtf you on about with SteamOS ... that is an os to enable playing of the steam catalogue of games how is that going to take on windows. Remember you have a choice and don't have to use windows but then you will find you can't play 70% of any software on the market so no point whining. Maybe you should develop your own os ...

Back