Your iPhone might soon display more ads across native iOS apps

Humza

Staff member
The big picture: The most valuable company in the world right now appears to be expanding its advertising business for further revenue growth. By introducing ads in more pre-installed apps on the iPhone and iPad, Apple plans to significantly bump its current annual revenue of $4 billion into the 'double digits.' The move is likely to upset iPhone owners who already pay a premium for Apple's tightly integrated hardware and software experience.

Apple currently has a fairly limited ad implementation on iOS, comprising Search Ads on the App Store as a way for developers to promote their apps, as well as ads inside the first-party Stocks and News app. Weirdly, the latter even serves up ads to paying subscribers of News+, though it is a minor issue in terms of the overall iOS experience.

However, it now looks like Apple's ad strategy is kicking into high gear, as the company is planning a significant increase in annual ad revenue with an expansion of ads into new places on the iPhone and iPad.

According to a Bloomberg report, the potential candidates for these ads include Apple Maps, Books and Podcasts apps, and even an ad-support TV+ tier. The App Store is also getting more ads soon in the app's 'Today' tab and within download pages of third-party apps.

As for Apple Maps, search-based ads have apparently been tested internally, which seem to follow a Yelp-like implementation that allows paying businesses to be ranked at the top of local listings. For Apple Books and Podcasts, users could see a sponsoring publisher/author show up higher in results, as well as appear in ads placed in other areas of these apps. Apple TV+, meanwhile, could follow the likes of Netflix and other streaming rivals for an ad-supported, cheaper tier with less content.

Bloomberg's report also highlights Apple's privacy-focused App Tracking Transparency, and how Cupertino's implementation of this feature drastically affected revenue of third-party businesses and developers. While the latter have had to re-think their ad strategy because iPhone users tend to opt-out of cross-app tracking, it potentially leaves an unlevel playing field for Apple's ad business that might spawn a few antitrust lawsuits down the road.

Apple's potential ad expansion for the iOS ecosystem could also risk cheapening the iPhone brand, where owners tend to spend more for a clean, unobtrusive experience. On top of paying for subscriptions for many of Apple's existing apps and services, having to see ads on more of the company's first-party apps will likely make it harder for Apple to justify the iPhone's premium price point.

Permalink to story.

I don't see any ads of my Androids native apps or anywhere else besides freemium apps that I generally don't use and even for those I have adblocker or modded .apks.

Remember, Apple is about you having privacy from 3rd party apps and their ads.

Also, ignore that Apple crippled 3rd party ads and is implementing their own ad solution to fill the void. That move was totally just about consumer privacy, nothing else.

Apple degradation from inventor to a sleazy sales person. When a shitty product doesn't sell - just put a new sticker on it.

Apple makes a big deal out of third-party tracking but never once makes those claims about first-party apps

Enjoy the new projected-on-your-Retina(TM) screen now with MOAR unskippable ads.

I use the Adguard app on my Android phone. Blocks about 99% of the in app ads.
Since I received my Pixel 6 Pro in late January, it has blocked 306,511 ads in apps and
web browsing, 853,119 trackers and saved 8.97GB of data.

Apple degradation from inventor to a sleazy sales person. When a shitty product doesn't sell - just put a new sticker on it.
"degradation"

This isn't a degradation, this is just the reality distortion field weakening to the point that people can see the emperor has no clothes. Apple has always been a sleazy salesman. Steve Job's name should be spit out with the same contempt we now spit Edison's.

Last edited:
"degradation"

This isn't a degradation, this is just the reality distortion field weakening to the point that people can see the emperor has no clothes. Apple has always been a sleazy salesman. Steve Job's name should be spit out with the same contempt we now spit Edison's.
The only people who spit on Edison's name are those needing a reason to be angry at the world. Much like those who go after smartphone companies.

the potential candidates for these ads include Apple Maps, Books and Podcasts apps, and even an ad-support TV+ tier.

That's one way to ensure I'll never use them ever again.

Back